Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
@jermil01 LOL! Now I don’t feel so bad that I’m going on 4 years with my FJ40 brake issues...6 ehhh? Glad to see you’re getting to it. Kudos on welding...I’ve always wanted to learn.

Word of advice: DO NOT SELL BRONCO!

Fox bodies: Absolutely. Heck yeah...get’em while you can. It’s a buyer’s market...like another member said.....you CAN have more than one toy!

My fav Fox is not the GT. I like the notch backs with the 5.0 and 5 sp. Same as the FL highway patrol used. There’s one on CL now, with all the FHP markings!

Good luck welding the arches!
Hah..It's all about having the time..working from home these days and saving on my commute has been a blessing in more ways then one..If I want to take a break I can go out and spend 30 minutes or so on the Bronco..my welding skills are so-so..good enough to get the job done and not break but that's about it..the thin stuff is the hardest to work on..

Definitely not planning to sell the Bronco..I may have flirted with the idea, but after putting all this work into it, it's looking better than it has in 15 or 20 years..actually not embarrassed to drive it around..

Yeah, the Fox notch back is what I'd been looking for..they're around, but most of the ones I've seen are either completely redone or totally roached out..I'd need something in between and more space to work on it..

I'm going to base on totally welding the arches..too much work and not enough benefit..

The bumper is a TJM, all aluminum and super light..you can see I've got the winch mounted in a cradle behind it..

Nice looking SVO, was never a turbo guy, but always thought those were cool cars..

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Parts store sold the new one cheapish (-$20). Easier than going to dealership for me. My last one DID leak.
@jermil01 LOL! Now I don’t feel so bad that I’m going on 4 years with my FJ40 brake issues...6 ehhh? Glad to see you’re getting to it. Kudos on welding...I’ve always wanted to learn.

Word of advice: DO NOT SELL BRONCO!

Fox bodies: Absolutely. Heck yeah...get’em while you can. It’s a buyer’s market...like another member said.....you CAN have more than one toy!

My fav Fox is not the GT. I like the notch backs with the 5.0 and 5 sp. Same as the FL highway patrol used. There’s one on CL now, with all the FHP markings!

Good luck welding the arches!
I have 4 Vehicles now. Plus all my other motorized toys. I like toys.
@jermil01 That is an awesome bumper for sure. I was looking for one, closes I’ve found to your’s is $900 and no where as good. Then I saw kits for around $1,200 you weld.

I’d really like a bumper I can bolt a winch too. Anyways, a friend of a friend just bought this. Only pics he sent. Forced induction! I prefer a V8!

Get a Fox!
View attachment 158998 View attachment 158999
If I remember his story correctly, his bumper was made by TJM, which Made that bumper for only a breif period in like the 90s. So they're actually quite rare. Broncos and F series are hard to find bumpers for because they aren't made anymore, so demand is low. They'd much rather build bumpers for new or newer trucks that people are willing to fork over big bucks for.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
186 Posts
Yeah, it’s going to be hard to find a good inexpensive winch bumper. @jermil01 Damn, I thought that was chrome plated steel. I didn’t realize the winch was on the frame. Even cooler. I’ve always like the ARB expedition type bumpers.

There’s a shop near me owned by Venezuelans that are serious 4Wheelers. They specialize in Landcruisers. They like to weld because they’re always fabricating some buggy or exocage. I’ll try them.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,810 Posts
FRONT WHEEL WELL QUESTIONS:
Can you please expand on how you dealt with the inner wheel well sheet metal?

Is the said inner wheel well sheet metal a structural piece/part?

What happens if you simply cut it back (inner wheel well sheet metal) instead of cut-and-bend?

Is the inner wheel well and outer quarter panel connected/fused at the lip?

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
FRONT WHEEL WELL QUESTIONS:
Can you please expand on how you dealt with the inner wheel well sheet metal?

Is the said inner wheel well sheet metal a structural piece/part?

What happens if you simply cut it back (inner wheel well sheet metal) instead of cut-and-bend?

Is the inner wheel well and outer quarter panel connected/fused at the lip?
If you just cut it and don't bend you won't have a lip to attach anything too..That's key to everything.

I'll try to address all your questions as best I can with pics. If something isn't clear let me know. Keep in mind this was all trial and error and I'm still fine tuning it..

To begin, there isn't any inner wheel well sheet metal in the front, only the plastic liner..

I started with this, I folded the lip out so I could access and cut back more of the inner fender part..it was preventing me from folding the lip flat..

Once that was done, I was able to fold in flat, then sand and prime the metal..In this pic you can see how much of the original plastic fender was trimmed away..

Then I measured out my sheet aluminum, cut to fit and fastened to the new lip I created with stainless steel self-taping screws (used weather-stripping between the lip and the new liner) and also to the original plastic fender liner..

The rear had a metal piece that came off the tub to help with reinforcing the fender..you can see part of it in this pic...The tab folded over is what the plastic liner attached to..

Here's what mine looked like after..I was able to tap into the existing tabs which helped reinforce the new rear liners.

In the front it went from this..

to this..

finally this..

Attachments

61 - 67 of 67 Posts