Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, get ready to crunch some numbers here. My family and I are moving back to Texas. We are currently in South Carolina, with our destination in Texas being some 966 miles away.

With that being said, going 55 MPH puts the motor at 2100-2200 RPM for 17-18 hours. 60 MPH puts the motor at 2300, 65= 2500, and 70 @ 2750-2800.

What speed do y’all think I should keep it at??

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@packagerjr Cool deal. Didn’t know if there was an imaginary line that you shouldn’t pass for cruising RPM..

@nekkidhillbilly I know. We established a closing date long before the virus came into the U.S. Sad times. We WILL be taking the precautions necessary, believe that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome to Texas. Generally I'd say something like "it's better here" being the proud Texan I am but at this moment we seem to be every bit as screwed as anyone else!

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,362 Posts
There's definitely a sweet spot for every engine, tranny, tire, gear combo. I know on my 78 it really likes the 55 mph range and it reduces noise inside the cab as well, but there's no way I'd drive it on the freeway at that speed. Any other road, sure, but not on the freeway where I live where it's an 80 mph limit.

I drive whatever speed keeps big rigs from passing me, that's my basic rule of driving slower vehicles anyway. I haven't done much driving on the freeway since they raised the limit here to 80 (2014) as my work commute no longer requires it and I don't travel much, but when the limit was 75 and the limit for big rigs was 65, I drove my little non-OD car at least 65-66 to keep big rigs from passing me on my 45 mile commute.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Most small blocks seem to like a sweat spot around 2250. As others have said, there is a dependency on gearing and tire size. The truck will let you know if it doesn't like running fast. You'll get a feel for it after awhile on the road.
When I was traveling through the mountains last year, I was running as high as 3500 for long periods of time to be safe in traffic. It didn't do any harm and only had 233K miles on it at that time. Did it again this year and arrived home with 244K miles and still running strong.

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we figured it out. My new AOD just got through being built, so we’re gonna get it put in here in SC. The C6 does 2750-2800 at 70 as noted above, but the AOD will have the engine spinning at around 1700 @ 70, calculations permitting.... much more fuel economical if I might say so myself, AND the ride won’t be quite as loud!

Thank you all for your input, it’s (as always) greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,053 Posts
Get a couple of boxes of medical gloves, put them on when you get out ... throw them away last thing before you open your door, do not touch your face or clothes. If your paying cash or using your charge card, pull that out before you touch anything else. Just saying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts