Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a triple gauge kit from Autozone the other day. It reads volt, temp and oil pres. The two questions are this: Is there any place better to mount it besides the under side of the dash by the 4WD shifter on a 78? And, I know the light switches have all the power going through them, so is there a better or easier way to hook up the lights for the kit like a relay or say through a toggle switch? Since my temp gauge works I was thinking about doing trans temp but I don't know if there is a place for the temp sender to go already or if I would have to drill a hole in the pan. Any answers would be great, pics are even better! Thanks :beer

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I put my gauges where the radio was. I couldn't hear a radio over the tires and exhaust, anyway. Also. I want to see my gauges w/o taking my eyes off the road.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Here's my setup.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya know, Id like to do that too, but I dont know of any manufaturer that makes a gauge pod kit for the 78/79 FSB. That was my first idea. I also thought about the space for the stereo, but I will eventualy have a deck in and that halts me there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
U can get universal fit guage pods from summit or jegs for a good price. U don't want to put a tranny temp gauge in the pan that's not a accurate reading, put it inline on the return side of the tranny cooler. Return side goes to the pump and internals before dumping to pan.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
U can get universal fit guage pods from summit or jegs for a good price. U don't want to put a tranny temp gauge in the pan that's not a accurate reading, put it inline on the return side of the tranny cooler. Return side goes to the pump and internals before dumping to pan.
Highly, highly inaccurate. Why the hell would you measure the temperature of fluid after its been through the cooler returning to the transmission? You want to measure the temperature from the port coming from the transmission to cooler.

Please if you are going to give incorrect information that could possibly cost somebody their transmission, keep it to yourself.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Highly, highly inaccurate. Why the hell would you measure the temperature of fluid after its been through the cooler returning to the transmission? You want to measure the temperature from the port coming from the transmission to cooler.

Please if you are going to give incorrect information that could possibly cost somebody their transmission, keep it to yourself.
i think it would be cool to have both numbers. before it goes through the cooler and after

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
i think it would be cool to have both numbers. before it goes through the cooler and after
Some people do that utilizing 2 senders and a simple switch.

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
the box i mounted the guage in, is a baby wipes box. i cut the back out and at a angle to fit flush, but the back is open. painted it to match.

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats pretty creative. Might have to do that to mine if I cant get the pod I want.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Take it how u want, tranny fluid is coolest after the cooler and it goes straight to the pump and internals, what does it matter if it's already in the pan and what temp it is. There are many ways to mount a gauge but if u are showing high temps on the cool side u have problems, if ur already on the hot side or in the pan u won't see a small change in temp because it's mixed with fluid in the pan and that's not going to help save a tranny. Ur temp should not exceed the engine temp by more than 10-15%. So if u r at 200 ur tranny should be no more than 20-25 degrees higher. After prolonged heat buildup u will see a decline in performance. Call a tranny shop before u put one in they can tell u witch side is return side.One other thing purchase better gauges like isspro or autometer, cheaper ones are like WWII motar shells sometimes there dead on other times they are friendly fire that can damage ur rig.

·
Registered
151 Posts

And to answer the last part of ur statement my dad has been a mechanic since leaving th military in 1970. I'm a mechanicly inclined person that male a living as a machinist for the gorvernment. I own six vehicles three of witch have tranny temp gauges( all isspro!!) and no I didn't build any of the transmissions that are in these vehicles, I'm a mechanic not a tranny man. I let my builder install the gauge sender unit were it is most effective. So if u build trannys for a living I my stand corrected but other wise read up on how to do things before slaming someone. That's all I got to say about that.:whiteflag

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Fluid going to your cooler is the hottest and current temperature of your transmission. The fluid runs through the pump, VB, clutches, etc then exits and goes to the cooler, not the other way around. So yes you want the temperature taken before the cooler to know if you are burning up your tranny.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Fluid going to your cooler is the hottest and current temperature of your transmission. The fluid runs through the pump, VB, clutches, etc then exits and goes to the cooler, not the other way around. So yes you want the temperature taken before the cooler to know if you are burning up your tranny.
It's waste of time either way nobodys going to know when F'er is to hot anyway and wheather it's before or after is really irrelevant I'd put it after for the record or else would you wonld not know if your cooler is exchanging heat enough for you but you need a baseline operating temp reading for it somewhere along the line.

·
Registered
151 Posts
as i said earlier i am not a tranny builder but i am a pretty good machanic, the clutches are an open bath design whitch means when oil reaches them it dumps to the pan to be picked up by the pump again.
also i would rather know what the temp is going into my tranny than going out if its 275'sh on its way to the cooler what is it on the way back???. if u only lose 10-15 degrees u wont know it and that wont keep u moving for very long.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im starting to regret asking about the tranny. I did see the gauge pods on summit. But, they look a little wider than the pillars on the late '70s trucks. For $30, i guess it could be worth a shot tho.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Im starting to regret asking about the tranny. I did see the gauge pods on summit. But, they look a little wider than the pillars on the late '70s trucks. For $30, i guess it could be worth a shot tho.
Just a freindly arguement its what happens from time to time. :smilie_slap

Take a look on ebay I've see them for our trucks somewhere maybe even JBG. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts