Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Trnasfer Case Leak

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  raleigh 
#1 ·
Okay so I just pulled my Transmission and transfer case and replaced all of the seals and gaskets along with the bearings and clutch.
It is still leaking! :banghead Not from the seals, but the gaskets, and not all of them.
I am curious if the vent were plugged would this cause it or if the paper gaskets are just crap!
At this point I am thinking I have to drop it all again and do it over, but how do I keep it from leaking???

#2 ·
I was looking into some other 205 Xfer cases and alot of them have a vent tube, mine has a little cap over the vent and I bet that little bastard is plugged!

#5 ·
haha, I did! that is the really crappy part, which is why I am thinking the vent is plugged.

Really sucks

#6 ·
Well I just popped off the vent "cap", that is supposed to relieve pressure from the transfer case and I hear a "hisssss".

There was a rubber washer under a spring in there that was sealed to the vent itself.
I suppose it's purpose was to seal the case when no pressure exists to prevent water from entering, but it was not letting pressure out either.
I will be running a vent line similar to what the axles have into the engine bay.

Gawd I hope this takes care of it!!!!!!

#7 ·
Well, I bet it would keep it from happening again but I bet a shiny penny that it's gonna continue to leak where it was leaking from. The oil already made a path under the silicone.

#8 ·
Yeah that is my thought as well.
I can get at most of the gaskets without removing the unit but the 2 or 3 that I can't get will need to be done before it gets too bad.

#12 ·
I just cleaned mine out and I am going to put a hose on the stub and run it up to the engine bay.

BTW I just drove it home from work and it is not leaking at all. This looks to have been the problem.

#14 ·
yo,
Also
Fluid Level High & Low Transmission Fluid Level &/or Shift &/or Engagement Concerns TSB 97-12-13 for 87-96 Bronco & many others; ".... Check the transmission fluid level. It the transmission fluid level is low and there are no visible signs of a leak, check the transfer case fluid level. The level of fluid in the transfer case should be just below the fill plug hole.
2. If the transfer case fluid level is overfull and the transmission fluid is not burnt, remove the transfer case from the vehicle following the procedure outlined in the appropriate model/year Service Manual.
3. Remove the transfer case input seal. Clean the seal bore in the transfer case.
4. Install a new Transfer Case Input Seal (F77Z-7B215-AA)
5. If the transmission fluid is burnt, repair the transmission as required and then replace the transfer case seal as outlined in Step 3.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F77Z-7B215-AA Transfer case Input Seal

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
971213A Replace Transfer Case 1.6 Hrs.
Input Seal - 1987-96 F-150-350, Bronco..."
Source: by Ford

"...Just an update, I used the part #F77Z-7B215-AA from the input shaft seal TSB and used it to cross reference new seals from a few different auto parts stores. All of them produced a seal same as the one I had, just different manufacturers. So far so good I used a paper gasket and some RTV at the intermediate tailhousing because mine had them there, a few people said I could get away with just some RTV, but it was only $6 so I sprung for the gasket. No leaks so far from the tailshaft or from the input seal, I will periodically check it over the next couple of months to make sure. One more piece of the puzzle done, next up is the fuel pump. Here is the original seal removed, I damaged it getting it out..." miesk5 Note, see his pics
Source: by slim724 at FSB

#15 ·
Good stuff Miesk!
Reading through that is addresses Auto for the most, at least that is what I get from it.

On a side note, the new input shaft was different from what came out. The old one was 2 seals placed back to back. The new is a double sided one piece seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.