Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 351. Check supermotors sig. if you need more info.

Go to start it up the other morning, it starts and then dies after running very briefly (a second or less). I can turn the engine over but doesn't start at all. :banghead

I figure maybe I made a miscalculation when reading the miles on my odometer (which is how I track how much gas I have because I have the same gas gauge problem that so many of you have), so my first thought is to put in gas. Put in gas, still no start.

I have tried a couple times since then and have the same problem, engine turns over, but no start.

Today I just tried to start it up and it did the same as it had before, started and ran very briefly, then died and would not start back up again. This time though, as I was trying to crank for a start, my RPM gauge was going crazy. As I cranked it would first go up to 1000-2000 RPMs for a second, as it usually should, but then fired back down past 0 RPMs and out the other side into the 5000 RPMs. So basically its turning backwards as I try to start it.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? :whiteflag

Oh, and if it's of any importance, we have had a recent weather shift here and are now consistently into the 10's and 20's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
check your fuel. Make sure your getting fuel and good pressure. You may have a little ice in your lines buy some liquid heat.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
When you turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump prime? There should be a distinct whine from the pump from within the fuel tank when it gets the initial power... If you cannot hear the pump whine, check your fuel relay first. The relays (any relay) can fail due to age, heat or cold. There is a way you can jump the relay (but I cannot remember the exact way to do it), I think there is a thread on here, or in Steve83's album that shows exactly how to test a fuel relay to see if it's bad, before spending $100+ for a fuel pump. The fuel pump relay is located under the hood and is easy to get to.

On my prior 87 Bronco, the fuel pump relay that eventually failed. Prior to it failing, every now and then I would have problems trying to start the Bronco, especially on a cold or rainy day (if there was moisture). When it did finally fail, when you would turn the key on, the fuel pump was not priming or turning on, therefore the truck would not fire up. Once the relay was tested and determined bad, after a new relay was in, it fired right up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump prime? There should be a distinct whine from the pump from within the fuel tank when it gets the initial power... If you cannot hear the pump whine, check your fuel relay first. The relays (any relay) can fail due to age, heat or cold. There is a way you can jump the relay
I'm an idiot for not thinking to check that first :banghead Pump doesn't prime, so I guess that just about limits it down to the Relay or the Pump, both of which I have replaced in the last year and a half.

I'll test the relay tomorrow.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
It could also be a bad fuse, ground, connector and/or wiring. So yes, testing is a great idea. :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts