Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has this scanner. https://mactools.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNum=ET9640 I'm pretty sure thats it, because it has all these different connections so he can use it with any vehicle, BUT from reading that it sounds like it wouldn't do an EEC IV vehicle, right?

Anyhow, my brother tried to use it with Mad Bronco, the '89. And its got an EEC IV connection and the book lists it as being able to work. But when he plugged it into the lil dealie under the hood, the scanner said can't find the DLC? It would never light up like its supposed to when he hooked it up.

This scanner he has could really help find the problem with the Bronco - it not only reads codes, but it can tell you the timing, it can check every sensor, give you tranny fluid temp, everything - IF we could get it to work. Any suggestions? The plug to read codes IS under the hood right? Its the one we used when we did the self test with the multi-meter. There was another plug under the dash, by the gas pedal...what is it for?

And while I'm at it. Where is the computer located on the '89? There's a box with wires going to it under my driver's seat, my dad said that was the computer, but I think its something else. :shrug

Thanks ya'll! :thumbup

·
tired of your sh!t
2,880 Posts
There was another plug under the dash, by the gas pedal...what is it for?
pretty sure that's for the code reader. under the hod is for the self test with the meter.

I'd love to have one of those scanners. my buddy has a snapon..he won't part with it.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
BroncoBabe said:
This scanner he has could really help find the problem with the Bronco - it not only reads codes, but it can tell you the timing, it can check every sensor, give you tranny fluid temp, everything - IF we could get it to work. Any suggestions? The plug to read codes IS under the hood right? Its the one we used when we did the self test with the multi-meter. There was another plug under the dash, by the gas pedal...what is it for?

Your year EEC-IV is too primitive to give you all that information. It'll give you the sensor info, that's probably pretty much it. The plug under the dash is probably for the rear anti-lock brake diagnostics.

And while I'm at it. Where is the computer located on the '89? There's a box with wires going to it under my driver's seat, my dad said that was the computer, but I think its something else. :shrug
The computer is behind the driver's side kick panel under the dash. If you look in the engine compartment below the brake booster, you'll see a big rectangular plug that plugs into the firewall, that's the ECM plug.

I'll only charge you $5 for all that info ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts