Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had this problem since i got the truck over a year ago. its fine when its cold and just warming up. it has plenty of power, but when it gets to normal operating temp, after driving awhile it starts to act tired and just doesent have the normal power it did. for example, around town stop and go, and accelerating to 50 on the main roads, it just wants to lag. i kinda think its the tranny not letting it downshift, but im not really sure. im thinking its some sort of sensor.

i kinda thought this was normal, but the 302 in the f-150 doesent do that, and neither does any of the other cars i drive.

its a 302 with the e4od. im running a single cat, k&n, accel wires cap and rotor, and a ford racing coil. it also has a auxilary tranny cooler that was added 2 months ago when i changed the filter and fluid.

any help is appreciated.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
How old is the cat? It sounds like it is clogged to me

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the cat is the original. when i cut the second one off i noticed a power gain. this weekend i might just cut it off and put a muffler on

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
When's the last time the HEGO was changed?

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SigEpBlue said:
When's the last time the HEGO was changed?
oxygen sensor?
never that im aware off

btw, its throwing no codes, but it does throw a code about tranny temp not up to expected temp when testing while running

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i drove the truck for about 3 hours today, rhode out to some trails and stuff. im starting to think its not the 302, its the tranny. it seems once it gets warm it just doesent wanna downshift into the right gear. like today, i stoped for a stop sign mostly, barely rolling, then took off, and it was sluggish so i gave it more gas, it downshifted, and i took off. i think it smore of the tranny not wanting to downshift to give me the power i need. any help is appreciated.

i sware once this tranny goes, its being replaced with a m5od or zf, i hate an auto.

btw, truck has 102k on it

·
Registered
825 Posts
i had the same problem with my 88. it was my tranny i believe, but it could be a host of other things, change the fluid and filter on the tranny. change your oil and clean out the intake and iac and egr and all the good stuff.

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brock said:
i had the same problem with my 88. it was my tranny i believe, but it could be a host of other things, change the fluid and filter on the tranny. change your oil and clean out the intake and iac and egr and all the good stuff.

tranny fluid, filter, and remote cooler added about 2k ago.
oil changed 500 miles ago, and intake was cleaned no to long ago

·
Registered
825 Posts
thennn you can take out your o2 sensor with like a 7/8 wrench, spray it real good with throttle body cleaner or soak it. if its real carboned up youll notice a big improvement, they normally dont just go bad they just get clogged. cheap fix.

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brock said:
thennn you can take out your o2 sensor with like a 7/8 wrench, spray it real good with throttle body cleaner or soak it. if its real carboned up youll notice a big improvement, they normally dont just go bad they just get clogged. cheap fix.
ill try that next time i get a day off work

update: i was thinking its the tranny not downshifting, but before the engine gets to operating temp, it still shifts the same, but the motor has the power to accelerate without downshifting. ive also noticed i think im getting some pinging once its at operating temp, ill be going 45 right when its in overdrive, give it some gas, and hear pinging. when its warm, it cannot speed up any from 45 without downshifiting, and it can when its not warmed up yet.

please help me, makes me not like driving it when its like this

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
brock said:
BULL. They wear out, plain and simple. You can't clean an oxygen sensor, the voltage-generating (galvanic) zirconia element wears out and stops "swinging." And SOAKING IT?!? Are you kidding? I'd hate to see if that's how you clean spark plugs, too.

Replace the damn thing, and do so about every 40k miles. It'll be the best $40 you ever spent. Trust me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
JB said:
ill try that next time i get a day off work

update: i was thinking its the tranny not downshifting, but before the engine gets to operating temp, it still shifts the same, but the motor has the power to accelerate without downshifting. ive also noticed i think im getting some pinging once its at operating temp, ill be going 45 right when its in overdrive, give it some gas, and hear pinging. when its warm, it cannot speed up any from 45 without downshifiting, and it can when its not warmed up yet.

please help me, makes me not like driving it when its like this
did you ever solve this problem a co worker is having the exact same issue. except his engine has a little over 400k and engine runs good and strong when cold. i havent gotten a reader on it yet, but he decsribed this exact same issue.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
i still think it is the cat. there is restriction somewhere that is bogging it down. just my thoughts though

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
equivalent said:
did you ever solve this problem a co worker is having the exact same issue. except his engine has a little over 400k and engine runs good and strong when cold. i havent gotten a reader on it yet, but he decsribed this exact same issue.

nope, ive had no luck yet. i havent really messed with it, but my next step is the cat, then o2 sensors and ill let you know.

are you the one that emailed me? sorry if it was, i forgot to respond.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
well has this "guy" at work tested all his sensors according to the haynes manual? it is really simple and only takes about 2 hours.

·
Registered
490 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
well has this "guy" at work tested all his sensors according to the haynes manual? it is really simple and only takes about 2 hours.
im working on that part of it. as soon as he brings his truck back to work. i didnt have my scanner the time he braught it to work so i couldnt even get codes. na i didnt email you JB.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.