Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have noticed recently that when I am backing into a parking space, if I pull forward and the truck is lined up straight and put into reverse, I have a slight decrease in the rpm's but the truck keeps running.
However, if I have the steering wheel turned and the truck is not straight, when I put it into reverse, there is the decrease in rpms and then it dies.
Why would the truck die when put in reverse when the wheels are turned but not when aligned straight?
This is on a 1991 with a 302 and the stock power steering pump (still need to install the Sag pump I got from BA).
Thanks!

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Does it bog down when in drive? If so, it may be a vacuum leak. The reason it would die when the wheels are turned, is because the power steering is putting a strain on the engine, and since it's already bogged down, it dies. I'd clean the throttle body first, and then check for vacuum leaks. If that doesn't fix it, go to your local auto parts store and have them read your codes, or maybe fireguy can tell you the site for pullin your own codes.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts

·
College User
2,020 Posts
I have the same prob, dont know what to do, the plug is for the PS pump, but on my 91 with a 302 it is not used, but my friends 93 F150 the plug is used for the PS pump. Maybe a low idle type thing like I said idk the answer only know of the problem as I have it too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck does not bog down when in drive. I will check the connection near the crossmember to see if it is plugged in or not.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Miesk5! That looks like the info I need to help address this issue.

·
Registered
493 Posts
miseroth said:
Thanks Miesk5! That looks like the info I need to help address this issue.
get it fixed? mine does the same, let us know what fixed it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
not fixed?

·
Finally got SAS'd
1,142 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 91. I think is is the torque converter lock up selonid. Ford is the only place to get a new one and it runs upwords of 200 bucks, that is why I have not fixed it. I have only herd of this on overdrive transmissions due to it being electronic.

·
Registered
604 Posts
tps or a vacuum leaks used to do it to me too sometimes used to make a k turn pop it in reverse an dead it went

·
Registered
54 Posts
My '92 would start to die when I put it into reverse while backing up on an incline. The idle would drop when I let go of the gas and then the engine dies. I tried to resolve this while the truck was still under warranty and brought it to several Ford dealers. They changed a bunch of parts and sensors, but nothing worked. I just live with it, but it would be nice to figure this one out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mine fires up and idle's in park or neutral just fine, its when I put it in reverse it dies. In the morning when its cold, I'll back out of the driveway and it wont die, but thats just because its still in open loop and the idle is high. But when its hot it will die everytime while in reverse. Suggestions?

·
Registered
493 Posts
jamesd2815 said:
i have a 93 xlt 5.0 with the same problem since i bought it i dont know what it is ether
I'm gonna get into it this weekend along with the new plugs, wires, and coil so I'll let you know if I can fix it, and the same with you. I'm gonna try the TPS sensor and mess around with some other stuff. I'll post back here with results.

·
Registered
384 Posts
my stalls out like that in revers but i hear like psssssh comming from under the intake manifold i belive an a tiny bit of smoke??. I just noticed to leaks in some tubes today so i'll replace those and see how that works

1 - 20 of 20 Posts