Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking. I wanna sell Brutus and look for another '65. I'd have to pull the 429, because that's my dad's engine and he's not gonna let it go. And maybe the C6 because it's had work done to it.

I could find another '65 F100 for about $1500 in decent shape. With all the work I did this month, I've saved up about $600. I was gonna use the money for some 35s on 15x10 wheels, but when I told my brother he said I was crazy and shouldn't do that til I get the 4" lift. But I can't afford that and the tires, too. Besides that, it'll still be a rusty, raggedy POS that I don't even like to drive.

I got that '78 about a year after I got the '89. Dad bought Mad Bronco ('89) for me and mom to 'share'. And he told me under no circumstances was it to go off road because it was so clean. So one day out driving I found Brutus and got it as a wheelin' rig. Well, I think we all know I can't wheel it with no front driveshaft and I don't even like to wheel.

So I mean, why the **** should I keep it? I don't even like the damn thing. I want another '65. I got $4,000 in the settlement from the wreck of the '65 and never saw a dollar of it. Mom is like, "get over it, dad built you another truck." Whatever, dad built HIM a truck. That's his engine, if it was mine he would have listened to what I wanted when he built the damn thing. I can't even afford to drive it.

I don't think anybody would even buy Brutus with no drivetrain. Wait, I just remembered, it's got the big bearing 9" rear. I bet dad wouldn't even let me sell it, he'd want the rear end for the race car.

Yeah, so I want my own truck. If I could find another '65 with at least a decent body/paint on it, I've got enough stuff around here to build me a nice F100. And it'd be all MINE.

Ok, I'm done.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davids78bronco said:
Part it out! :thumbup
That had crossed my mind, but I've got a D44 from the last parts truck that I can't seem to give away.

I was thinking today while I was driving and trying to clear my head, if I wrecked Brutus tomorrow, it wouldn't even phase me. I'd be like, oh darn. I'm just not attached to it. I never have been.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I'd drive it.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ToddACimer said:
I'd drive it.
Yeah, you say that now, but the first time or six it leaves you stranded or refuses to crank you'd change your mind. Or every time you got hounded for not taking it off road due to a lack of 4WD. Or every time you had to fill it up with 93 Octane only to have it still lacking the power you know is there and pinging like a mo-fo. You'd change your mind.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
HMMM... my truck's never left me stranded but I break it all the time

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm all fired up to look for another '65 now. I think if I part out Brutus, and sell off the rest of my rat pile of parts, I could buy a decent driver. As long as the body/paint on it are good, I've got enough other stuff, like a rebuilt 352 laying around to fix it up. Hell, I was thinking if I could find one with a 4 speed, it'd be bad ass to drop my dad's 429 in a '65. Or maybe a '61 Unibody. *drooool*

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Unibody!!!!11!!1!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
I'm trying to get with your line of thought here Mels

Let's see if I've got this right. You hate poor Brutus now because he sucks expensive high octane, ain't all that reliable and you can't wheel him because he's currently 2WD.

You want to raise cash to get another 2WD 65 F-100 by selling his @$$ without motor and trans. You're gonna burn a few more favours and get your Brother and Pappy to yank the drivetrain for you.

Sounds like you might get a hundred or two for a rusty, motorless 78 Bronco, maybe, if you find a buyer. Meantime you've P.O.'d your pit crew, taken one more useable family vehicle off the road for good and used up a few more favours for maybe $200.00 (maybe).

Worst case is Brutus never sells and you're left with an unuseable hulk in the yard. Best case is you get $200.00 towards the pretty hard to find 65.

From a guy standing outside your forest, with a clear perspective and looking at your trees, I'd say don't wreck Brutus for an amount you seem to be able to duplicate in a third of a month with earnings.

I know it's a raw deal you've been dealt, but pi$$ing off the pit crew trying to get $200.00 out of Brutus doesn't seem sensible.

I don't claim to understand much about females, but I've been on the receiving end from them and y'all can lay pretty good guilt trips on us males.

If you use them femine wiles to seed your discontent amongst the pitcrew, then show your willingness to trackdown and save for another 65' I think you might be a whole lot further ahead than forcing them to strip the Brutus they built for you (okay them).

Heck they might suggest to you, after you find a 65', that they want to strip and part Brutus out to help build you your 65'.

Get em' on board, don't alienate them (IMO). Hope this helps.

Sixlitre

p.s./
Get them blinders off and look at any year of nice, affordable Ford truck that crosses your path. Facing facts, 65s ain't as common as they once were.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If your bronco is upsetting you this much i'll come get it and give it a good home. How sad it must be to be unwanted on Christmas. This sounds like an afterschool special.:cry

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sixlitre said:
You hate poor Brutus now because he sucks expensive high octane, ain't all that reliable and you can't wheel him because he's currently 2WD.
I don't hate poor Brutus, it's not his fault. I never really liked it much to begin with. I only got stuck with it because my brother thought it'd be cool to play in the mud with. I'm not attached to it. It doesn't give me that thrill the 65 did. It doesn't have the stance, the lines, the curve of the fender or brushed aluminum grill, the huge steering wheel or all metal dash.

You want to raise cash to get another 2WD 65 F-100 by selling his @$$ without motor and trans. You're gonna burn a few more favours and get your Brother and Pappy to yank the drivetrain for you.
My brother doesn't care and if dad tries to make me feel bad saying he did that for me, I'll call him on it. He'd been lookin' for something to put that engine in and the Bronco just came along, then I waited 3! years while he took his sweet time. I put the engine in there, I can pull it out, I don't need his help.

Sounds like you might get a hundred or two for a rusty, motorless 78 Bronco, maybe, if you find a buyer. Meantime you've P.O.'d your pit crew, taken one more useable family vehicle off the road for good and used up a few more favours for maybe $200.00 (maybe).
Actually, I could get more than $200 if I parted it out. I've got the complete set of racetrack trim in good shape and that sells for $600 a set new, so I could get $200 for the trim alone. Plus all the other interior goodies that are in decent shape. Oh and it's not a useble family vehicle, it sits in the yard 95% of the time.

From a guy standing outside your forest, with a clear perspective and looking at your trees, I'd say don't wreck Brutus for an amount you seem to be able to duplicate in a third of a month with earnings.
Hopefully I'm getting a real job in January. And that $600 I saved this month won't happen again, that was holiday work and the carriages are done until March now. So without a real job, I won't be making any extra money for the next three months, except for my stash of parts I can sell.

I know it's a raw deal you've been dealt, but pi$$ing off the pit crew trying to get $200.00 out of Brutus doesn't seem sensible.
I'm the Pit Crew. They're not gonna get pissed off and leave me hanging. When I moved out last year, dad realized how much his life sucks when I'm not home to help him. I've got more friends now than in years passed, so I don't even need their help.

Heck they might suggest to you, after you find a 65', that they want to strip and part Brutus out to help build you your 65'.
Yeah, not gonna happen. It's all about the race car and my brother, I get the leftovers - if he's feeling generous. If I do this, I'll do it on my own. I'm healthy now and I'm not depending on them any more.

Get them blinders off and look at any year of nice, affordable Ford truck that crosses your path. Facing facts, 65s ain't as common as they once were.
Yeah, I am. It'd be kick ass to have a '56. And the '65s are easy to find down here, there's 5 or 6 decent ones in the Truck Trader every week. I won't go newer than '66 though.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
BroncoBabe said:
Yeah, I am. It'd be kick ass to have a '56. And the '65s are easy to find down here, there's 5 or 6 decent ones in the Truck Trader every week. I won't go newer than '66 though.
Well that sounds more like sound thinking, now that you've filled us in on all the facts.

5 or 6 decent 65s a week ! You lucky devil !

and BTW I get all hot an bothered over the 53s to 56s. You want to talk about lines, they've got em' !

A lot more work and less practical than a 65 for sure though.

Good luck with the truck and job search.

Sixlitre

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
If I were you, I'd keep Brutus even if it'd be parked most of the time since you aready own it and it'll hardly cost you anything just sitting there (tags, insurance comprehensive coverage) and go ahead and buy a '65 or whatever for yourself.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Mels, me thinks there are many sides to you!

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sixlitre said:
BTW I get all hot an bothered over the 53s to 56s. You want to talk about lines, they've got em' !
Oh no kidding, I'd give my eye-teeth for a fat fendered F100! Listen to this... I went over to JT's house yesterday to run my thoughts by him. We wind up over at his neighbor's house that does a lot of welding for race cars and stuff and go to see something in the garage. There in the back sits this '56 big window. My jaw dropped and my eyes got big. JT goes, "you didn't know that was back here?" I was like, NO! Last time I was at buddies house his Nova was sitting in there. So I say, wow, a '56 big window. Buddy turns around with his eyes big and goes, "you know what it is?!" JT goes, "yeah, Mel is like the F100 Queen." :toothless Today I was back over at JTs and buddy came by and said he was still impressed that I knew what a big back window is. :thumbup

Dustball said:
If I were you, I'd keep Brutus even if it'd be parked most of the time since you aready own it and it'll hardly cost you anything just sitting there (tags, insurance comprehensive coverage) and go ahead and buy a '65 or whatever for yourself.
Well, what me and JT worked out is he'll find me a '65, we'll get it decent with all the spare parts I have - I have enough to build a complete truck, just don't have the time or ability - and then JT said he'd trade me and he'd take Brutus. I was like, ok, whatever. I just want another '65.

GHOSTRIDER said:
Mels, me thinks there are many sides to you!
You just now figuring this out? There's more to me than people who know me will ever know. I've got a soft spot for Camaros and '57 Bel Airs, too and can tell you all kinds of neat trivia about Camaros. Surprised? The girl who Bleeds Ford Blue knows Chevy stuff. :toothless

It's hard sometimes. I can't ever really focus on the ONE thing I'd love to just do and stick with, there's so many sides to me. I'd love to take off tomorrow to Colorado or Wyoming and work on a ranch, maybe a dude ranch driving a team of 4 horses to a wagon. I don't know which I like better driving a truck or driving a good team of horses.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
I've always wanted an mid 50's panel truck... :thumbup I love those things...

:toothless

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tomh971 said:
I've always wanted an early 60's panel truck..
I don't think they made Panel trucks into the 60s. I think I've seen about a '58 model, but the popular ones are mid 50s. And they are pretty cool. :thumbup

My dad bought about a mid 50s 4 door International Panel truck that is the coolest thing I've EVER seen. It's just down in South GA and haven't gotten it home yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts