Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this thread because I did not know exactly how to word my search for previous threads. I tried a few suspension searches and did not find what I needed.

My truck does a rocking motion when I go and stop. For example, I'm at a red light then it turns green and I accelerate. At this point, it feels as if the truck rocks up or forward or stands up. When I come to a stop if feels as if it sits back down, does both every time. I know I need new shocks because they are 24 years old (95 XLT 351) and show signs of sweating or leaks. I asked my uncle/mechanic if that could be it, he said it might but it also might be the leaf springs. I have heard leaf springs last a very long time, only thing needing replacements are the bushings.

Has anyone experienced this? I want to fix it asap because it's very annoying to feel that every time I stop and go.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
142 Posts
I concur with the springs... Bad shocks would allow bouncing after a bump, but wont allow for bucking on acceleration and deceleration, or side to side sway (body lean) during cornering. leaf springs are a funny animal, if the vehicle is used on pavement for its whole life, never carriesa load above 25-50% of the gvw they can last for ever. But if tthe vehicle is used off road, pulls trailers regularly, and exceeds 75% of its gvw most of its life, springs can rearch them selvs and not do thier job.

·
Super Moderator
14,447 Posts
get underneath and look for anything that's broken or loose..spring packs wear over time but my $$ is on those 24 year old shocks..slap some Bilsteins in there and call it a day..might want to also check your motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
When I got my Bronco, I was under the impression that the suspension is very soft for off-road articulation. As such, I wrote off weird behavior as normal, albeit quite annoying: when stopped at a light, vehicles passing the other way would rock it back and forth from the wind. Once I learned that it shouldn't be like that, I replaced the shocks and all was good. (I had previously upgraded to a 4-bolt steering box, which was by far the most impactful change of anything I've done to the Bronco. It was practically undriveable before that.) While that doesn't quite fit your symptoms, it does show how much worn shocks can affect these vehicles.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Rocking “too and fro” when accelerating and braking is definitely effected by weak springs, bad shocks, and even worn sway bars. Visually inspect everything and if you have a good spring/axle shop in your area they may be able to re-arch your springs if not build you a new set.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you jump on the front or rear bumper then jump off or bounce the front or rear how many times does it move up and down before it comes to rest? More than once your shocks are shot. I would venture to say it is your shocks anyway. Start with the basics and work your way up the ladder. As you said you KNOW your shocks are sweating/leaking so you know for sure they are shot. So After replacing them see where you are. For street/Daily Driver KYB Gas-A-Just can't be beat and you can get them online for great prices. Good luck.

PS Shocks are what controls springs from Bouncing/Rocking/Oscillating, they dampen the effects of the spring whether it's a coil or a leaf whether they are soft or stiff.
A sway bar on the other hand deals with side to side motion/leaning of the vehicle not forward and aft motion/rocking, they tie the left side to the right side.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Start with the shocks, you know you have to replace them anyway. See how much improvement you get and if you are satisfied. My bet is you will be satisfied with the new shocks and improvement

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you jump on the front or rear bumper then jump off or bounce the front or rear how many times does it move up and down before it comes to rest? More than once your shocks are shot. I would venture to say it is your shocks anyway. Start with the basics and work your way up the ladder. As you said you KNOW your shocks are sweating/leaking so you know for sure they are shot. So After replacing them see where you are. For street/Daily Driver KYB Gas-A-Just can't be beat and you can get them online for great prices. Good luck.

PS Shocks are what controls springs from Bouncing/Rocking/Oscillating, they dampen the effects of the spring whether it's a coil or a leaf whether they are soft or stiff.
A sway bar on the other hand deals with side to side motion/leaning of the vehicle not forward and aft motion/rocking, they tie the left side to the right side.
Thanks. I'll definitely look under and see if anything sticks out as bad but I'll take your advice and start with the most inexpensive thing which would be the shocks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input everyone. Glad to know it's narrowed down to shocks or springs. I will start with shocks because they are less expensive than the leaf springs but if the springs look okay maybe I should redo the bushings? Today was the first day I went over speed bumps and I'm determined to get that corrected.

Also, are shocks easy to replace? I looked under there and it looks pretty simple, two bolts and they're out. I also looked at the Bronco/F-150 book and it made it look simple as well. Can a novice like myself do the job? I'm not extremely handy but I've done oil changes, brakes and rotors, spark plugs, stereo installs, things like that.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The hardest part about shocks will be getting off 24yo bolts imo... Get a good penetrating oil and spray the day before u plan on doing the job. A torch might not hurt too...
Screenshot_2019-08-28-00-11-24.png
image_15af0cca114534.jpg

·
Registered
425 Posts
The hardest part about shocks will be getting off 24yo bolts imo... Get a good penetrating oil and spray the day before u plan on doing the job. A torch might not hurt too... View attachment 149870 View attachment 149871
Good advice. Start several days ahead though and hit ‘em everyday with liberal applications. I’m a Kroil fan myself, but nothing really beats a 50/50 mixture of Acetone and ATF fluid (except for the smell. Kroil just smells like... victory. Only thing better smelling might be Aeroshell 33MS, but I digress, that’s a grease and not a penetrating oil).

Either way, new coil springs upfront and shocks all around will make a world of difference. I’d hold off on the rear leaf springs unless there is an obvious problem.

When I did mine back in August of last year Amazon was the cheapest place for the Moog coils and KYB shocks I used.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I cheat doing suspension bolts.... as long as they are bolts with nuts, and not threaded rod (like a ball joint for example),,, I just grind the head off, grab a drift punch and punch out the old rusty bolt, then replace with new non rusty bolt slathered in antisize compound with new locknuts, and proper washers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@BroncMom Good advice, I'll definitely get some of that to help losen them up.
@Want2BS8ed coil springs? I thought everyone was talking about leaf springs. I just looked up coil springs on rockauto and Amazon and they're $70 a pair, not bad. Shocks are about $160 for all 6. If $230 not only fixes my problem but makes a world of difference like you said, sounds good to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cheat doing suspension bolts.... as long as they are bolts with nuts, and not threaded rod (like a ball joint for example),,, I just grind the head off, grab a drift punch and punch out the old rusty bolt, then replace with new non rusty bolt slathered in antisize compound with new locknuts, and proper washers.
Do shocks normal come with new bolts, or do I need to order that separately?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have only seen them come with nuts if there is a threaded post at one end of the shock. So probably need to order bolts if your are in poor shape

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
@Want2BS8ed coil springs? I thought everyone was talking about leaf springs. I just looked up coil springs on rockauto and Amazon and they're $70 a pair, not bad. Shocks are about $160 for all 6. If $230 not only fixes my problem but makes a world of difference like you said, sounds good to me.
Fyi pretty sure fsb members get a 5% discount at Rock auto till December.
Screenshot_2019-11-12-03-41-01.png

·
Registered
425 Posts
Did for me... you will find out pretty quickly if the rear leaf springs need to be replaced as well if the rear sinks lower than the nose when you drop her back on the ground. Even so, you won’t have lost anything as the front coils and definitely the shocks needed to be replaced anyway. Best case you have saved the cost and hassle of swapping out the rear leafs.

·
Registered
649 Posts
BTW I have 291K miles on my front and rear springs and with good (functional) shocks (KYB) all is good on the highway, around town and handling around turns (Stock sway bars with all new Thermoplastic bushings). Again start with the Basics and work your way up to springs after a set of New Shocks, why spend money on something you don't or might not need, unless you have tons of it (money). This way you'll know what the problem was and go from there. But to each his own! Good Luck

·
Registered
435 Posts
If there’s room a die grinder straight down the center very carefully till your 98.4% through Will make the nut split like a walnut with a little chisel tap ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts