Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have been trying to get to the end of this problem for the last year on and off. it has to do with my dads 95 F-150 300/E4OD/4x4 with 189,--- miles. the tranny was replaced about 160,--- miles and it has been doing this since. at the time of the tranny R/R it was determined that the computer was bad which caused the trans to go out. the shop replaced the PCM with a re-man, he also replaced the ECT. engine is all stock with rroutine matinace. this is when the trouble began...

the symptons:
under light throttle, light load it will begin to buck and hesitate when given more throttle. sometimes almost 3/4 throttle needs to be given before it clears up. also, at a red light it will sometimes want to stall if not two-footed. also a drop in fuel milage is noticed from about 18 to 14 when it runs bad. othertimes it will run like a raped ape.

before any codes appeared i consulted a Ford tech service writer. he said the EGR may be coming on to soon. so as a test i restricted the EGR. truck ran ok after that but shortly after it began to act up. while this happened i found code 552. i cleared the codes to see if would come up again and it did a while later. i checked the codes after the CEL came on again and found code 552, AIRB malfunction. i tested it according to the book and it was borderline so i replaced it with another one i had at the house. i also cleaned the IAC and IAT while i was under the hood.

truck ran fine and as part of the PM i did a full tune up. shortly after it began to run like crap again. so today i borrowed the scan tool from work and got code...552...AGAIN and a new one, 173.

im at my wits end because i am battleing this now for quite a while on and off. some days it will run great and others it will flat out suck.

sorry for the long post, and thanx for any help.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
If you still have a 552 DTC, there is something wrong with that AIRB circuit. The component on the end of a circuit is not at fault a significant amount of time. I think you need to do some more close inspection of the AIRB wire, and the VPWR line going to the AIRB solenoid. That VPWR line could very well have a short or open, which would be an explanation for the intermittent shitty running.

DTCs 553 and 552 indicate that voltage output for Secondary Air Injection solenoid(s) did not change when activated.

Possible causes:

-- AIRB/AIRD circuits shorted to power.

-- AIRB/AIRD circuits open or grounded.

-- AIRB/AIRD resistance out of range.

-- Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

l Disconnect AIRB/AIRD solenoid connector.

l Key on, engine off.

l Measure voltage between VPWR circuit and battery ground of one solenoid, then repeat for the other solenoid.

l Is each voltage greater than 10.5 volts?

Yes
GO to «KC10».

No
SERVICE open harness circuit. RECONNECT both solenoids. RERUN «Quick Test».

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that helps a ton because the generic books dont specify that the fault is from voltage output change. i was constrained for time when i replaced the AIRB, but i did a quick inspection of the wiring. my biggest factor is time because my dad works early (leaves the house at 3-4 am) and gets home around 4-8 pm. weekends i work but now i can go after that particular area. thanx and where did u get that from?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
Ford Technical Service Publication CD, under the PCED Diagnostic Routines, DTC 552.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok reporting back. i had a chance to work on it all day monday, it threw the same codes again. i tested the AIRB and AIRD and the voltage was roughly 9.9v. then i traced the wiring and found nothing but then i noticed a hair line crack on the connector for the AIRB. it was loose on the valve so i took the valve off and it broke the clip. luckily i had another so i replace it, reconnected it then taped it up. was tight after that, so i let it alone. while i was tracing the wiring i didnt find any chaffed wires or anything. i couldnt get the harness apart next to the juntion box so i couldnt do a resistance test but it ran very well after that. i suspect the loose connector was causing the intermitant fault code, but it wasnt visible on my first quick check. the guy who did the transmission tested everything to find why it wasnt shifting right and i assume he caused the hair line crack at the connected. my next trip to the junkyard ill grab another one and solder it in place for a permanant fix.

how do i get that connector apart so i can check from there to the AIRB connector?

BTW, so far so good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.