Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went wheeling last weekend, truck has always ran great 81k orig miles...went up some hills, no issue..steep and short hills, no issue..steep and long runs..it sputtered and died..like no fuel....got turned around, coasted down hill while trying to start..nothing but cranking...a few minutes later..it fired like it was new...ran up and down some more hills going out..and one steep hill again and it dies..got tow strapped by a chevy to the top..coasted again for a few minutes..wouldn't fire..got level...tried several times wouldn't fire..coasted down another hill..it fired again..drove it out of the dirt and all the way home..20 miles on paved road...acts like it never had an issue..it had 3/4 tank..and i was told it is probably the low volume pump on the tank..not the high volume pump in the frame rail..whats your thoughts Ford gurus? Anyone else have this issue before? How would i check pumps without a consistent problem? I dont want to buy parts on a guess..filter? tank sock? I'm puzzled where to start....

·
Registered
201 Posts
try putting a fuel pressure gauge on it and check the pressure while at idle, revving, and check to see if its holding pressure when its off. im not sure what pressure would be on a bronco but im assuming its above 50psi. if nothing happens drive it with the pressure gauge on and hit some hills and have someone watch it while u drive and see if it drops

·
always evolving
1,325 Posts
try putting a fuel pressure gauge on it and check the pressure while at idle, revving, and check to see if its holding pressure when its off. im not sure what pressure would be on a bronco but im assuming its above 50psi. if nothing happens drive it with the pressure gauge on and hit some hills and have someone watch it while u drive and see if it drops
engine off pressure check should be between 35-45 psi.

it could be a couple different things, pulling codes would be your best starting point. See what or if it shows anything.. Just because your CEL is not on does not mean there isn't a stored code. but due to it temporarily not starting it does sound like it might have been starved for fuel. Check some codes, do a engine off pressure test, then engine running, and a static press leak test. If static test fails, suspect the regulator, test it. Grab a haynes manual, it has all this info and testing procedures in it. :thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts