Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bronco shakes sometimes under 30 mph it feels like im offroading over a bunch of small bumps. It doesnt do it all the time but when it does I have to come to a complete stop then go again and usually it will stop. The stearing doesnt feel loose. I have no clue where to start with this problem. Any suggestions?

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Could be a bad tire with a slipped belt, could be tie rods going bad, or ball joints. If your sure your steering componenets are good, I'd say you have a bad tire. Could need an alignment too. Not sure of the kind of shake, but also could be bad Ujoints in the driveshaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the tires are pretty old. As far as the shake it feels like the truck is going to bounce over like it's shaking side to side. If im going faster then 30-35 mph it never happens.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Death wobble would be from steering components. Check your track bar bushings at both ends of the trac-bar. If they get worn out, you could have problems. But usually you would feel the slop in your steering.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
DW can also be started by bad toe-in, out of balance or out of round tires, bad tre's, bad shocks, bad steering stabilizers, bad radius arm bushings, etc. Anything thet is connected to the front axle becomes suspect.

On my Jeep, I have HORRIBLE death wobble. On a recent trip to Big Bear, after wheeling in the mud all day it went completely away on the drive home. When I washed the Jeep, it came back, leading me to suspect tire balancing. I figured I had spun the mud on my wheels and they balanced themselves. I also need to replace my ball joints. For me, the toe-in is a critical thing. My DW is hyper-sensitive to the toe-in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Im going to have to break down and get me some new tires. My 35x15's are looking alot like 33's. I just wanted to take care of other things on the truck first. But as a daily driver also I gues tires are important.

·
Registered
262 Posts
sounds like U joints, or tires... I had it on my 78, got u joints done and it went away. my tires are "MT", but bald as a rock, and no whobble

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Grains said:
sounds like U joints, or tires... I had it on my 78, got u joints done and it went away. my tires are "MT", but bald as a rock, and no whobble
Yeah, the tire wobble should only happen if you get flat spots (bad ones) or slip a belt internally. A radial tire with 90% tread will still do this if the belts slip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So bad U joints on the driveshaft can make it shake that bad?

·
Registered
368 Posts
im with jahwarrior, mine used to do the same thing all it was was the track bar bushings. i put polyurethane in mine and cured the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will start with the bushings. Their the cheapest then I will move on to the U joints. Thanks.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
johnbjr said:
I will start with the bushings. Their the cheapest then I will move on to the U joints. Thanks.
No problem, keep us updated :thumbup

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the tires are a good bet, besides you need new ones anyway and you won't be throwing unnecassary parts at the problem hoping for a cure.

A friend of mine had a real similar experience with a 92 F150 (totally different breed of cat I know). He bought some used and abused 36" tires and wheels off a friend and they worked fine except every now and then they'd shake so badly he would have to come to a nearly complete stop to get rid of the shimmy. It wasn't cool to be a passenger for that experience.

I think he resold the tires and wheels to a mudder.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
johnbjr said:
Ujoints are only $15 a piece

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 78 and when i split a belt it did that. Right @ 28-33 MPH. above that it was fine. Took it to my semi tire shop n they sh!t. pulled the tire n wouldnt let me go home till i got a new tire

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I think it is the U joint on the front axel. When I was putting new rotors and breaks on this past weekend. The front right shaft would push in about a 1/4 of an inch. The left one didnt do it at all. Im going to try rotating the tires as psygn0sis suggested until I can get around to replacing the ujoints.
Thanks for everyones help. I will let you all know what worked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
u should be able to grab one side of the axle and try and twist the other side if the u joint is so bad to make the whole truck whoble it will have play in it. my guess is your tires are out of balance, or the tierod ball joint or track bar bushings need replacing.
to check these probs jack one side up and shake the wheel should be able to find play in it somewhere, do both sides and replace anything thats sloppy.

my 2 cents
race4fn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts