Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought my 89 EB 302 AOD. As in, i was driving it back after buying it, maybe 15 or 20 miles. I had the cruise set to 55 and everything was just fine. It sputtered for a second, backfired a bit, then kept driving on. I turned the cruise off and it did it again a few miles later. Then the speed limit dropped to 45 from 55, and when i let it decel, it felt like it was starving for fuel, and I tried feathering the gas but it ended up dying. I pulled over and tried starting it again with no results. Then it started, I let it idle for a bit, then put it in gear and moved about 6" and died again. After letting it sit for 4-5 minutes it started and made the rest of the 5 mile journey no problem. I've read up a little and it sounds like either the TFI, "Inertia switch", or the fuel pump is going. I won't really have the time to tinker until the weekend since we have ranges all this week and I'm the armorer of my platoon.

I love this thing already, and it has 140k miles and just had the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and distributor done. Also new ignition coil. I don't know too much about the electrical/fuel system on vehicles, but this is a second car for now before i sell my other one. Sorry if this has been covered, but I've been an hour and a half owner and have to wake up at 3am tomorrow.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's not the inertia switch. Once the inertia switch is flipped, you have to press it back in to get your fuel pump running again. It could be a fuel pump issue, as mine have been a pain in the ass since I've owned it. Mostly due to old gas in the tank. It's hard to tell what it is without more information.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts