Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i have tried to solve this problem to the best of my abilitys on my own,

anyways heres what i have done so far.
replaced: all hoses, waterpump, NEW 195* balenced thermostat, backflushed radiator, and replaced temp sender....

PROBLEM: Truck will not reach proper operating temp

Possible reason that i can see: My fan is always spinning until i rev up. (could this be why)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Still could be a thermostat as I have seen brand new ones of those open and stick open. The cooling systems on these are bigger than necesary so if the t-stat stays open it will run way cool.

Does the heater blow hot air?

However my bet would be on the wires being bad or the guage itself being no good. I have had several of these trucks (and have one right now) that the gauge doesnt work. I have never figured out what the problem is with the elctronic guage. As soon as they malfunction I remove the elctronic sending unit and put a real guage in its place. Thats because I have spent way to many hours chaing down wires conectors changing sending units and trying different gauge clusters.

Good luck with fixing it.

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tested the thermostat (in boiling water) and it opened, then closed when it got cool,. the heater blows air at about 100-130 (according to my temp probe) degrees.

i have a mechanical gastype temp guage, shoud i hook that up

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
are you using a real gauge or the factory dash gauge for temp?

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right now factory dash guage, and it never gets above the starting point for normal
it stays on the line represented by this slash \NORMAL/

but i do have a guage (real) from autozone that is gas filled?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
so neither guage shows it getting to temp?

this something that just happened or been that way?

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no the stock guage shows as cold (havent hooked up the good one yet), it always has, even before the new thermostat and flush (always being relative seeing as how its a junkyard motor, only had it for 3 months) the problem is im worried that if my motor doesnt start heatin up itll wear faster and get crappy mileage

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you probably have a guage problem. hook up the new one and report back

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will i lose much antifreeze/water when i pop the old sensor out?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
depends how fast or slow you are.

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol, ok ill have my brother there to plug the hole with his finger if i need it, lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take some card board and block part of your radiator, see how that may increase your temp. You may need a new fan clutch unless you go with an e-fan. I tried an e-fan here and it just can't keep up in the summer with city driving. The mechanical fan moves allot of air.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take some card board and block part of your radiator, see how that may increase your temp. You may need a new fan clutch unless you go with an e-fan. I tried an e-fan here and it just can't keep up in the summer with city driving. The mechanical fan moves allot of air.

^ avoid this advice for the time being ^

First of all the truck is running to cool NOT to hot according to the gauge! If its running normal but the gauge is malfunctioning and he covers the radiator to test it. He can do some damage to the engine. If the fan isnt working it would run to hot not to cool. If it was engaged all the time the thermostat would take care of the rest.

When pulling the sending unit out how much did you lose when you changed it out??? I usually drain about a gallon out of the drain cock on the radiator before pulling the t-stat or sending unit to keep from making a mess. The I put the old stuff I drained back in when the job is completed.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
:stupid

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
havent been able to swap guages yet, but i do know my fan clutch is always engaged, until the motor is revved hi (itll stay engaed at idle indefinently)

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
your fan will always spin when the engine is running.

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and sound like a vacuum cleaner? hmm i thought these things were thermal clutchs that only engaged while hot, and freewheeled otherwise. my bad.

another thought.... how long should it normally take for the thermostat to open, my new one seems like 3-4 minutes is doing it (that is its taking 3-4 minutes until the upeer rad hose gets hot)

how would i know for sure whether the thermostat is working correct ( i mean i tested it before i put it in, its one of those $15 ones with the copper block instead of the bimetal spring)

just tryin to figure out as much as possible before i get off work so i know what to do when i get home (where i have no internet to ask advice)

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
usually drain about a gallon out of the drain cock on the radiator before pulling the t-stat or sending unit to keep from making a mess. The I put the old stuff I drained back in when the job is completed.
i wish i could put old stuff in, but all my stuff always comes out brown, even after i flushed it yesterday, its brown again (maybe a pressure flush woulda done better?)

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Stop what you are doing and put in the mechanical temp gage....

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you said it disengages when you rev it up so it should be working fine.

your having issues with it getting up to temp and your not even taking into account the factory gauge was a POS and wiring in your new one you bought. Quit over thinking shit, and install a good gauge to verify it is cold, then go from there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts