Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped the gas tank to put on my shackle flip and now the truck wont start. I didnt disconnect anything on the tank, but it still seems like it isnt getting any gas. It started just for a second and now it just cranks and cranks. i made sure everything was connected. any ideas???

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,121 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not sure how to check for a spark. what do you mean by that??
also, not sure if the pump is pumping, im doin this on my own and cant crank the truck and be under it listening.
i will check the wires at the plug underneath tomorrow. alos, i will check for spark and stuff if yall give me some insight. thanks alot so far yall.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
im not sure how to check for a spark. what do you mean by that??
also, not sure if the pump is pumping, im doin this on my own and cant crank the truck and be under it listening.
i will check the wires at the plug underneath tomorrow. alos, i will check for spark and stuff if yall give me some insight. thanks alot so far yall.
To check for spark the easy way:

Get a spark plug and put it on the wire coming from the coil to the cap on the dizzy. If possible, have someone turn the motor over for you. If you can't (cuz you say your working alone) Make SURE that the trans is in PARK and jump the starter relay under the hood....dont hold on to the coil wire either! It can zap you good!...Just make sure when you put the sparkplug in, that it is really close so it can ground out on something, otherwise I don't believe you will get a spark. You can do the same thing with a plug wire and using a spark plug. Just make sure its touching the exhaust manifold or head so it can ground.

As for the fuel pump (In this case its a 96 correct?) then you should only have 1 fuel pump. You don't have to even crank the motor, just turn the key to the on position and you should hear the relay click and probably can hear the fuel pump prime right after. It shouldn't run very long...probably 5 seconds max.

Another thing to see if your getting fuel would be crank on it for a little while and pull out a plug and smell it/look at it and it should smell like gas. If your ground it really long, sometimes it will be covered in gas as well.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,180 Posts
To check for spark the easier way, pull a spark plug wire off the plug & have a helper hold the wire while leaning on the fender. Crank the engine. If the helper jumps & yells, you have spark. It's best to use a different helper each time, as they become prone to letting go & running away before completing the test. :toothless

Disclaimer for the stupid among us: That's a joke, don't really do it. Here's your sign.

Seriously, a fuel problem seems more likely. If you want, a quick shot of starter fluid will allow it to fire for a second or two to confirm that fuel is missing. I think you're on the right track with listening for the pump & checking connections & lines at the tank. How is the pump grounded & did that ground come undone?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To check for spark the easier way, pull a spark plug wire off the plug & have a helper hold the wire while leaning on the fender. Crank the engine. If the helper jumps & yells, you have spark. It's best to use a different helper each time, as they become prone to letting go & running away before completing the test. :toothless

Disclaimer for the stupid among us: That's a joke, don't really do it. Here's your sign.

Seriously, a fuel problem seems more likely. If you want, a quick shot of starter fluid will allow it to fire for a second or two to confirm that fuel is missing. I think you're on the right track with listening for the pump & checking connections & lines at the tank. How is the pump grounded & did that ground come undone?

okay, i know this is very newbish, but where do i put the quick shot of starter fluid??

i THINK the pump is grounded in a wire harness....all i did was drop the tank skid, except for one bolt, so the tank hung down just low enough to bolt up the shackle flip. i didnt disconnect anything, but im still gonna check all the connections tonight.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
okay, i know this is very newbish, but where do i put the quick shot of starter fluid??

i THINK the pump is grounded in a wire harness....all i did was drop the tank skid, except for one bolt, so the tank hung down just low enough to bolt up the shackle flip. i didnt disconnect anything, but im still gonna check all the connections tonight.
In the intake plenum, right at the trottle body. Yes, the pump is grounded through the harness. I know this is stupid...but you did remember to put gas IN the tank right? The reason I say this is because it is so obvious, it can be overlooked. That and if there was very little gas in it, to the point the pump couldn't pick it up, then it wont run.

Did you find out if the pump is running or not...spark...etc?
KC

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i came home and checked to make sure the weather pack was good, and all the wires are continuous through it. i turned the key put i couldnt hear anything in the tank pumping. Its pretty audible right, my hearing isnt what i would describe as great. Im about to try the spark thing now. i checked both fuses for the fuel pump and they are okay.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
trying to check the spark on my own SUCKED so im a just try it with my buddy tomorrow. Im not familiar with the inertia switch, but doesnt that go off in an accident?? i switched the relays with the horn relay, since i knew the horn one worked, but i still couldnt hear anything. i will try to just jumper it in the morning.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i jumpered the pump and it is LOUD, i definitely dont hear anything when i just turn the key to ON. i also checked for a spark and nothing happend. i took spark plug out and put it back in the wire, then touched the tip of the plug to the exhaust manifold, and the block, and got nothing.

i also checked the inertia switch and it was in working order and hadnt been tripped. what shoudl i do now/??

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
Keep in mind too that if you blew a fuse or a fusible link while you were working around your gas tank that you may have pinched some wires causing a short.

If you find a bad fuse or link and replace it and it soon blows again you better go back and check your wires and connections. High probability it's somewhere you were moving stuff around.

Good luck with this, I know how frustrating this can be. :beer

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I think there are a few in between the ECM and fuel pump relays to help from frying the relays, but I don't have my haynes in front of me, so I am kinda guessing.

One thing to look for would be some rubed/broken wires from the tank up. Just take a look where it may be possible they could be rubbed or broken. I doubt they are, but its possible.

KC

1 - 20 of 29 Posts