Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Roll Tide!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so before anyone even says anything i HAVE REASEARCHED!

So there is this guy that works for my dad that says that he could put me a TRUE dual exhaust (not cat-back) on my 96 BKO for $250 :)shocked) with flowmaster mufflers. now from what i have read on here and seen under my truck, there is no way to do a true dual exhaust system since the transfer case is in the way? :banghead

will a true dual system sound good? will it be insanely loud?

i just need some clarification and advice on this subject.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It can be done by running 2 pipes uder the passenger side and once the are behind the gas tank they can exit on both sides. i have shorty headers with no cat running into a 3in inlet and two 2.5 in oulet stainless strait through muffler. the pipes exit at a 45deg angle behind the wheels with 4 inch tips. the whole system is stainless. my rig has a 302 and it i give it an 7 or 8 for loudness. really true duals can be done but what i have flows and sounds just as good with less hassle. 250 sounds cheap so i would see what u are gettin

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have a true dual exhaust with flow 40s on it with long tube headers and yea its pritty loud espeshaly if u romp on it but its not insanly loud but some of my buddys say they can here me across town (its a small town) but i have a 3 inch body lift and it runs over the t case and its fine but there is other ways of doing it.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Again its pointless to run a dual exhaust on a bronco. Single 3" pipe is more than you'll ever need, and will give you the power where you need it.

·
Roll Tide!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the thing about it is that the true dual will help out on my gas milage but i dont want a loud truck. id like to have a good sounding system with a little bit of volume. my dad said that if we do it then we wont run any cats.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
well the thing about it is that the true dual will help out on my gas milage but i dont want a loud truck. id like to have a good sounding system with a little bit of volume. my dad said that if we do it then we wont run any cats.
Help out on your gas? How do you figure? :shocked

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
who told you true duals will help mileage?

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
single 3" is more than ideal for our trucks

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
well i read online that a true dual exhaust will create more flow which will take some backpressure off the engine which will help out on your gas milage... i guess that was wrong? :doh0715:
You don't need duals to do that.

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
where are you going to put 2 pipes out the back of a bronco so it doesnt look like half assed shit? dont forget exhaust straight out the back goes straight in the rear window

·
Registered
477 Posts
do your duals after the cats/muffler if your just doing it for looks.

a 3in single with a nice tip (+your glasspack/muffler) is perfect

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
also id have the exhaust coming out the back at angles so it wont go back in the window.
It'll still get in the back window. Everyone here that's ever experimented with exhaust set-ups on our Broncos will tell you that. Pretty much the way to keep the most amount of exhaust out of the window is to have it exit the side of the body.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Okay so before anyone even says anything i HAVE REASEARCHED!

So there is this guy that works for my dad that says that he could put me a TRUE dual exhaust (not cat-back) on my 96 BKO for $250 :)shocked) with flowmaster mufflers. now from what i have read on here and seen under my truck, there is no way to do a true dual exhaust system since the transfer case is in the way? :banghead

will a true dual system sound good? will it be insanely loud?

i just need some clarification and advice on this subject.
I have true duals on my '96, the PO put them on. It has dual cats and dual Flowmasters on it, with the exits going to each side at the rear. I don't have photos of it all, here's what I have.

Dual Flowmasters.

The exhaust pipes turning right and left.

The right side tail pipe.

One of the two cats is in this photo, the other one is above and behind this one. One of the pipes has the third O2 sensor in it, but the PO couldn't get that one to function with the computer. It's my opinion that the cats don't light off in the time allocated by the engine computer, so the check engine light was always on. I eliminated that issue with a device that works with the computer much better, and all is well.

I don't know what the PO paid for this system, and since there are headers too, they may or may not have been part of the overall price. I'd expect the system without headers to run more than $250.00, but as I say, I don't really know. The PO didn't include a crossover pipe in the system, which reduces efficiency and low end torque somewhat. The sound would be much better with a crossover, aka X- or H-pipe, and no, I don't like the sound. Too "blattey" for my tastes, but it's not overly loud because the cats act as pre-mufflers.

My BKO has a six inch suspension lift, so that provides some additional clearance.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts