Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after looking underneath of my 91 bronco, i cannot seem to see how it would be possible for me to run a true "dual exhaust". i dont want to just split the tail pipe, i want to run a true dual exhaust, but am wondering if anyone knows any ideas on what i could do to acheive this, if it is even possible. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
621 Posts
i was told that it wasn't possible with the way the t-case is set. and another guy that had a body lift went under the body and above the frame wouldn't reccomend doing that though. i'll stick with my single 3 1/2 inch exhaust.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've got true duals on mine. I had it with factory exhaust manifolds and still have it with headers. They ran the left side under the front of the transmission and then ran both pipes down the passenger inside framerail. Then spread them out to each side out back over the rear axle. That is of course with no cat.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

after reading through that thread, i am wondering if this set up would work? and also if it would sound good, with no cats, and 2 flowmaster muflers. will it still perfornm good? and the only thing connecting the two sides will be the cross pipe near the front. whatcha guys think?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have duel exhaust on my 4.9L

exaust.JPG

there is alot more bending than you think but the shop did a real good job, i will take some pics tomarrow

·
Registered
259 Posts
dirtydave said:

after reading through that thread, i am wondering if this set up would work? and also if it would sound good, with no cats, and 2 flowmaster muflers. will it still perfornm good? and the only thing connecting the two sides will be the cross pipe near the front. whatcha guys think?
That is how it was done on mine when I got it. Duel 2.25 with flowmasters. Ran it till it fell off. I had a single 2.5 put on and lost power.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is set up like the pic of the V8 above except the pipes split off after the tcase and i have a muffler on each side mounted flat. There are no cats and i dont have a "cross pipe." The mufflers are around 6 years old (guy i bought it from put em on) and they still sound good, just very rusty. Hoping to get some long tubes and new flowmasters. This is how I have seen most Broncos around me set up.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I have 2 1/2" pipes going into one 3" pipe. Works pretty good if you ask me.

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
Gacknar said:
Yes you should.
All dual systems need a balance pipe in order to function properly.
i have a question about that though, should i cross it before or after the cats? (dual catco high-flows in my case) i have been running mine without a cross-over for two years now and am wondering if it would make an improvement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Easiest way to determine proper placement of balance pipe is this; take some cheap black spray paint and lightly paint the exhaust system near the cats. Where the paint bubbles (exhaust is hottest) is where the balance pipe should be.

Sean

·
Registered
605 Posts
mines just come out my headers to the cats and out to glasspacks no cross over, no nuthin. i dont like it though,the sound attracts way too much attention now where im at and almost got it towed:duh probably gonna get rid of the glasspacks for two mellow sounding flowmasters an exit them out the rear, the glasspacks exit right at the T-case now

ill try to get pics tommorrow

·
Registered
636 Posts
I gotta say, I like the single 3" exhaust for wheeling purposes. Less crap to break/get in the way. And on a lightly tuned engine, it is the perfect setup. Dual pipes are highly overrated.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have true duals running under my 93. I'll get some pics put up tomorrow.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
I've got true duals on my 88 and haven't had any serious issues.

Couple of things to watch out for you do get them are;

#1. Point out the left rear brake line to whoever is doing the work. It is almost impossible to get that section of tail pipe clear of the line. I had to re-bend a little and added a heat shield later to protect the brake line; (Last pic in the Superford folder linked below)

#2. Everyone says exit the pipes out the side so you don't choke fumes. I agree (from experience) and that's what I did. Then when I did a shackle flip the pipes had to be cut because of spring travel and run out the rear. So now I'm back to choking on fumes with the rear windo down. Doesn't affect me in the summer with the soft top on though.... :thumbup

~CLICK~ for more pics.......

1 - 20 of 45 Posts