Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a bronco that is being advertised with 72k Original Miles. Is there any way to tell if that is true? Or a way to tell if the Odometer has been flipped?

Thank You

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
I am looking at a bronco that is being advertised with 72k Original Miles. Is there any way to tell if that is true? Or a way to tell if the Odometer has been flipped?

Thank You
pretty sure the first digit will be skewed a little bit, as in XY,YYY the X will not line up like the rest

dont quote me on that though

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
The guy down the street from me has a cherry 93 Bronco black and white with about 90k on it and he will be selling it soon. $3000...I want to buy it. He maintains it like a Rolls Royce.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
pre 92 is only 5 digit. If you want to know the miles get a carfax or autocheck, that will give you around how many miles it should have. only way a 92+ can be lowered is if someone swaps in in a new one.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
pre 92 is only 5 digit. If you want to know the miles get a carfax or autocheck, that will give you around how many miles it should have. only way a 92+ can be lowered is if someone swaps in in a new one.
oh i beg to differ :goodfinge

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
oh i beg to differ :goodfinge
me 2

on a side not , a 93-94 exploder has the 85mph speedo, and the extra digit. and i know the tacs are swappable from the v8 ranger crowd from a 87-91bronco, so i might grab an exploder speedo eventually for my 88 to give it that extra digit since according to carfax mine has rolled over twice:thumbup

·
Registered
35 Posts
ONLY way that i know of is to look at the Brake pedal and clutch pedal to see if they are worn or have been replaced. The other is to just look at the wear on the steering wheel, paint rub off and such, seats how bad they are crushed down. This will give you a GUESS as to the life the truck had.
The one we just got has 87,000 on the clock and EVERYTHING that should show wear has the correct amount of it. :beer

·
Registered
710 Posts
X2 about the brake pedals! I restore classic cars for a "living" (haha, I'm broke) but anyhow, that's probably the truest sign right there. at 52k that thing should not be showing much wear at all (should show some though). If the steering wheel and brake pedal don't show any wear at all, then either the person drove it with gloves and booties on, or things have been replaced...

Alot of people know the brake pedal trick, so folks will put on new pedals from time to time just to hide their mileage...

·
Registered
731 Posts
pretty sure the first digit will be skewed a little bit, as in XY,YYY the X will not line up like the rest
dont quote me on that though
My '93 Ranger was lined up fine and it was on it's third time around.

me 2

on a side not , a 93-94 exploder has the 85mph speedo, and the extra digit. and i know the tacs are swappable from the v8 ranger crowd from a 87-91bronco, so i might grab an exploder speedo eventually for my 88 to give it that extra digit since according to carfax mine has rolled over twice:thumbup
No idea about Bronco and Exploders, but my '93 Ranger had a 5-digit odometer.

ONLY way that i know of is to look at the Brake pedal and clutch pedal to see if they are worn or have been replaced. The other is to just look at the wear on the steering wheel, paint rub off and such, seats how bad they are crushed down. This will give you a GUESS as to the life the truck had.
The one we just got has 87,000 on the clock and EVERYTHING that should show wear has the correct amount of it. :beer
^^^^^^^ That's the best way. Check for wear and tear and also any replaced parts.

Personally I could careless about the mileage, just make sure everything is working and in good shape.

·
Registered
710 Posts
yep, I'll third that notion... i've seen lots of cars with under 100k (legit) but were seriously screwed because they weren't used enough. My grandmother has a 1994 mercury topaz (yeah, I know...) with 38,000 miles on it and it is in need of all kinds of stuff because it has sat for many many months at a time without being used.

If the engine is nice and silent, transmission shifts good, differentials are nice and silent, and the 4x4 works as it should then I don't care if it's got 300k on it. My bronco has 250k on it and since I've worked on it all myself and not let any ASE monkey touch it the thing is as good as it was new.

Good luck on your buy, really the biggie with these bronco's is looking for rust! Check the bottom of the tailgate, the rear fender flares, and the body to frame mounts (mainly the front and rear ones). Rust doesn't care how many miles the car has!

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
yep, I'll third that notion...
x4 ;)

My bronco has 250k on it and since I've worked on it all myself and
not let any ASE monkey touch it the thing is as good as it was new.
x2 Even if the ASE Monkey is a real good mechanic for himself, he's
not getting paid by the hour while working for -you- he gets paid by
the job, so he's going as ---fast--- as he can!

So you're paying him to do fast work, not good work, so don't be
surprised if it ain't the way you'd do it yourself with plenty of time. ;)

This is ASSuming he knows what he's doing and likes his job both. :)
One of those missing? :/

But try to keep in mind he's prob'ly doing the best he can with what
he's got to work with.

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
242 Posts
x4 ;)

x2 Even if the ASE Monkey is a real good mechanic for himself, he's
not getting paid by the hour while working for -you- he gets paid by
the job, so he's going as ---fast--- as he can!

So you're paying him to do fast work, not good work, so don't be
surprised if it ain't the way you'd do it yourself with plenty of time. ;)

This is ASSuming he knows what he's doing and likes his job both. :)
One of those missing? :/

But try to keep in mind he's prob'ly doing the best he can with what
he's got to work with.

Alvin in AZ

Always ASSume the worst, and hope for the best. Knowing you "know" enough to get a vehicle home before it dies after you buy it is what is fun :) Although I had my Bronco towed to the house; in 20 minutes I was driving it. The $80 tow saved me $300 in price negotiation :haha

·
Super Moderator
26,972 Posts
yo,
Since the OP has not come back w/more info on year, etc. or a comment, this may be useless, but..for others

Aside from the CarFax and other services;
Look for Ford on-line dealer service record summaries (Ford is adding entries now), etc. at Ford myford.fordvehicles.com (need VIN) & must register if you haven't already for your other Fords.

Recently, I have checked-out a few low mileage 95 & 96s for friends and friends-of-friends; all mechanical without use of Auto-Check or Car Fax.
Car Fax is ok, but they did NOT list over $5k in single accident damages on 3 of our past vehicles; & our ex-92 Van had less mileage listed than when we sold it according to a CarFax report 2 years later... they did nothing after we contacted them. Except for "requiring verification" of facts that we could not possibly obtain or have on-hand such as confirming the existing miles, title/ownership of it after it was sold by the purchaser (who appeared to be used-car dealer).

I replaced my 96's brake pedal pads; available at many parts stores, cheap

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
I replaced the speedo in mine after my restoration. On the new one, the tenths are red on the odo.
I agree with most posts, look at the overall condition of the usual wear items.

Look to see if original parts have been replaced, and by what. OEM, aftermarket.

By 72k, the original battery should have been replaced so check the replacement for a mfg date. Look at the alternator, starter, brake parts. Some of that may have been replaced especially if higher than 72k. While not difinitive, might be a clue.

I have had a few low mileage cars. They can be a PITA if not maintained or at least garage kept. I agree with a previous post, I would be more concerned about rust issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as Car Fax, It is very hit and miss with vehicles this old. I was looking at a 95 that the report said was in an accident before it hit the dealer lot and had 126000 miles. The guy that has it now says it has never been in a wreck and it has 180000 miles and this is in a 4 month period. I believe in our state they do not brand titles on the older 88 89's because of their age and low market value.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts