Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wheeling in the rocks i have now decided on building a rock buggy that is still street legal and cool. This is what i have in mind.
Opinions and comments very welcome and needed!
1963 f-100 cab with some fender trimming
1992-96 bronco frame and drivetrain
5.8L
???tranny????
2005+ D60
2005+ sterling 10.25
Atlas or similar t-case
40" tires/20" rims
Roll cage that has an engine cage, bed cage, and a spare in the bed
(someone here did what i have in mind to their f150/bronco hybrid)

Okay here is what i have in mind, and why i decided on these things. A street legal truck that i can drive anywhere...not long, long, distance, but if i have to make a parts run i can.
I chose a bronco frame/drivetrain beause:
I know the bronco in general, fuel injection, parts readily available, i like the wheel base, not too much electrical that i cant handle a body swap.
I like the idea of sortening the bed and using 63' flareside fenders. It will run stock motor with a few bolt on upgrades.
I'll try to utilize the power as much as possible with gears and the transmission.
As far as the atlas, this more of a dream than anything else, with doubler kits and such out there, im really open to ideas and opinions!

I chose the 2005+ D60 because:
Lots of aftermarket parts available, can be built very well and will make the coil sprung front end swap just as simple as a 70's D60 swap. Parts readily available. It will also give the truck a retro look.
20" stock SD King Ranch wheels simply because i love the way they look!

I chose 40" tires because:
After wheeling my 37's im left wanting more. I think that with proper built axles i shouldnt be breaking too many parts with only 40" tires. Im thinking Iroks, or Toyo Mud Country (like GKR)

I will keep updating the original post to keep up with the build:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im gonna go get a complete 1963 f100 this weekend, found it for $300 complete with glass and the original 223ci inline 6, rust free, bed and bumpers, all of the interior(rat free), no axles and a clean title. After i choose a base vehicle the hunt for a new frame will start.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Sounds cool. I think reptillikus used a truck cab and modified short bed on his Bronco frame. Newer truck cab though.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats who it was! I knew it was something like that! There was a willy's jeep on Top Truck challenge that was blue and silver, i kinda wanna mimick the styling's( if thats a word) and the bed on that truck.....several TTC's later there was an old red 65' f250 and thats what inspired the build. I really want something narrower, but i cant think of a vintage truck that was narrow...and ford.

·
always evolving
1,325 Posts
After wheeling in the rocks i have now decided on building a rock buggy that is still street legal and cool. This is what i have in mind.
Opinions and comments very welcome and needed!
1963 f-100 cab with some fender trimming
1992-96 bronco frame and drivetrain
5.8L
???tranny????
2005+ D60
2005+ sterling 10.25
Atlas or similar t-case
40" tires/20" rims
Roll cage that has an engine cage, bed cage, and a spare in the bed
(someone here did what i have in mind to their f150/bronco hybrid)

Okay here is what i have in mind, and why i decided on these things. A street legal truck that i can drive anywhere...not long, long, distance, but if i have to make a parts run i can.
I chose a bronco frame/drivetrain beause:
I know the bronco in general, fuel injection, parts readily available, i like the wheel base, not too much electrical that i cant handle a body swap.
I like the idea of sortening the bed and using 63' flareside fenders. It will run stock motor with a few bolt on upgrades.
I'll try to utilize the power as much as possible with gears and the transmission.
As far as the atlas, this more of a dream than anything else, with doubler kits and such out there, im really open to ideas and opinions!

I chose the 2005+ D60 because:
Lots of aftermarket parts available, can be built very well and will make the coil sprung front end swap just as simple as a 70's D60 swap. Parts readily available. It will also give the truck a retro look.
20" stock SD King Ranch wheels simply because i love the way they look!

I chose 40" tires because:
After wheeling my 37's im left wanting more. I think that with proper built axles i shouldnt be breaking too many parts with only 40" tires. Im thinking Iroks, or Toyo Mud Country (like GKR)

I will keep updating the original post to keep up with the build:
Sounds interesting... also sounds like your ready to spend some money too!

You are already approaching $5k with tires, axles, and the atlas alone. also if the rear axle is a 2005+ it's actually a 10.5.

and be prepared, i would not be suprised if you get a lil bit of a fuss from people about using the newer unit hub axle. but hey, i chose those axles myself too, so you won't hear any complaints from me. But i'm seeing these axles being used more and more lately.

also, if you get the axles from an 05 newer superduty; ford upgraded the brakes in 2005 meaning the rotors are now slightly larger than the 99-04 axles. just an fyi.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
but hey, i chose those axles myself too, so you won't hear any complaints from me. But i'm seeing these axles being used more and more lately.
The reason for that is it time for these trucks to be high mileage and more available in JY these days. They are just getting easier to find. Nothing wrong with the axles but yes unit bearings are the weak point. Those can be converted and I know most people will say OMG that is $1800 to convert but when you look at the price spent on new bearings your talking about replacement 1.5 times and the kit is paid for.:doh0715:

·
always evolving
1,325 Posts
The reason for that is it time for these trucks to be high mileage and more available in JY these days. They are just getting easier to find. Nothing wrong with the axles but yes unit bearings are the weak point. Those can be converted and I know most people will say OMG that is $1800 to convert but when you look at the price spent on new bearings your talking about replacement 1.5 times and the kit is paid for.:doh0715:
i actually personally chose those over the kingpin.... call me crazy! but i wanted my build to be completely out of the norm. ;)

i do like dynatrac's freespin hub conversion, BUT i do fully intend to run the unit hubs and see how they do hold up. i gotta give them a real world tough test! but yes, if i forsee them being an issue i won't hessitate to drop the $1800 to correct that issue.

Edit: i have also heard good things about these unit hubs http://www.branikmotorsports.com/ i intend to try these once my OE's fail, and then if these aren't lasting either i will then do the dynatrac kit. but i want to be able to personally test what these unit hubs can handle. real world tests require spending a lil money..

·
Registered
512 Posts
You sound like you have a good base plan...Look for some Posts by SWAT he basicly built his bronco into a truggy thing we call it the carcas and he drives it everyday

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
My thoughts?

- Sounds awesome to me

- I think that the atlas might be a little overkill, but I tend to lean toward more simple builds.

- Ignore all the internet bullshit about unit bearings sucking. IMO they're a superior design, especially for a wheeling rig that sees street time.

- I'd run a C6 tranny with an E4OD gearset unless you really want to make a lot of long highway runs with it (however, you could just run a doubler/atlas and keep the 1:1 range high enough that highway speeds wouldn't turn ridiculous RPM. I honestly think it's a toss up between a manual and an automatic for crawling, but there are some very very big advantages to a slushbox. I kinda wish I'd bought an automatic 78/79 rather than the 4spd now that it's all said and done. A manual is fine if you've got the deep gears to back it up, but it's hell if you don't. Not having to worry with the clutch in tricky situations is nice too.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds interesting... also sounds like your ready to spend some money too!

You are already approaching $5k with tires, axles, and the atlas alone. also if the rear axle is a 2005+ it's actually a 10.5.

and be prepared, i would not be suprised if you get a lil bit of a fuss from people about using the newer unit hub axle. but hey, i chose those axles myself too, so you won't hear any complaints from me. But i'm seeing these axles being used more and more lately.

also, if you get the axles from an 05 newer superduty; ford upgraded the brakes in 2005 meaning the rotors are now slightly larger than the 99-04 axles. just an fyi.
Yeah, its gonna cost me well over 4K to get all of the work done to get the fourdoor to the what i like to call the "point and shoot" level, thats where you just point the rig and shoot up the obsticle. I also thought that the rear was a 10.5, but after i ordered the yukon 4.56 gears for my fourdoor, they guy at Erics Auto Parts said that i had to convert it to a 10.50 since the 10.25 does not go up to a 4.88. So i decided to order the 10.25 4.56's.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two things i was thinking about....what are your opinions to this.
1. maybe a diesel engine....kinda leaning away from that since i dont know anything about diesels.
2. I was thinking about taking 6" to 8" outta the center of the entire cab to get a slightly narrower body.

All i need now is a great deal on a bronco with a decent drive train!

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Two things i was thinking about....what are your opinions to this.
1. maybe a diesel engine....kinda leaning away from that since i dont know anything about diesels.
2. I was thinking about taking 6" to 8" outta the center of the entire cab to get a slightly narrower body.

All i need now is a great deal on a bronco with a decent drive train!
1) No, it's not worth the trouble IMO. If you want it to be "diesel-y" just put a 300 I6 in it.

2) I think this is a great idea.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
300ci I-6 with a turbo would be the shit! I wonder how hard it would be to make it fi??? I wonder if weight would limit the truck? I mean would the six be enough Juice to move 40's over stuff?? Would there even be wheel spin for deep mud and water crossings??

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
I kinda wish I'd bought an automatic 78/79 rather than the 4spd now that it's all said and done. A manual is fine if you've got the deep gears to back it up, but it's hell if you don't. Not having to worry with the clutch in tricky situations is nice too.
That is why you install one of these or a hand throttle made from a bicycle brake cable (my plan). Instead of getting rid of the clutch pedal get rid of the gas pedal (at least in those tight spots...)

This one is $43 plus shipping from JB fab. Clicky!!!

Fine adjustable hand throttle / auxiliary idle control. Also works very well as a manual choke control. Turning the handle counter clockwise increases engine speed, locking ring adjusts the friction on the knob. To return to idle just hit the red button, and it all resets. Easley mountable on the dash, or on the shifter. High quality, made in the USA stainless wire. Wire to linkage hardware included. Bracketry and fabrication skills required depending on application and mounting location choice. Not designed to be used as cruise control.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
300ci I-6 with a turbo would be the shit! I wonder how hard it would be to make it fi??? I wonder if weight would limit the truck? I mean would the six be enough Juice to move 40's over stuff?? Would there even be wheel spin for deep mud and water crossings??
I seen some where they had a FI turbo I6. Check fordsix.com i think it might of been. the later model 300's came FI and a few were mass air. So i think one with Mass air and a little turbo w/ a few pounds would be kidna neat.

·
Registered
563 Posts
They have FI 300-6, that would give you the diesel feel.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
That is why you install one of these or a hand throttle made from a bicycle brake cable (my plan). Instead of getting rid of the clutch pedal get rid of the gas pedal (at least in those tight spots...)

This one is $43 plus shipping from JB fab. Clicky!!!
That thing is slick Dale! I've been looking for a "big-rig" style one like that for a while.

The main reason I'm regretting my T-18 is that I think my rear main is leaking onto the clutch and causing some hop issues. That 12" clutch ain't cheap either :toothless

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
I got my clutch kit local for like $180 but mine is a NP435 (not that it makes a difference for the clutch but more for the low first gear). My clutch is a dual friction clutch to. It has ceramic on one side and regular clutch material on the other.:thumbup

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I'd never drive something like that daily, just not comfortable and I am getting old and decrepit........................

Hell, I drive it several times daily and out to trails. Crawlorado is pretty open to wheelers at this point, but we will probably get the lift laws and fenders etc. once more civilized folks move here. I hope it's not anytime soon.

Rollingmenace, he said something that is cool, not the F"Ugly Carcass.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts