Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I just bought an 89 Eddie Bauer around a month ago from a guy on Craigslist. According to him it has a 5.8l in it. Just the other day I ran into the VIN decoder and decided to check mine out and according to my VIN my bronco came with a 5.0l. The Craigslist guy also said that the engine was rebuilt so I don't know if it has a swapped 5.8l or what.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to easily tell if my bronco really does have a 5.8L in it. On the intake manifold it just says electronic fuel injection.

Thanks

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
I thought the intakes may have had 5.8 in the casting but I don't see it in the pics from my engine..I believe there is a measurement you can take between the heads that will tell you what it is, but I can't remember of the top of my head..

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you can get a socket on the bottom bolt of the water neck, you have the 5.8, if not its the 5.0

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts
yo,
Here is Ryan Ms' ID in his former 5.0 / 5.8 Swap article
some excerpts;
It's not easy to pick a 302 from a 351 in a line up.
(miesk5 Note; as shown by Seattle FSB);
One quickest and easiest way to ID a EFI302 from EFI351 is to inspect the EGR system. They use different exhaust tubes to connect the EGR to the exhaust. The 302 gets exhaust from the lower intake, while the 351 gets exhaust from the passenger exhaust manifold. Much quicker and easier than measuring the lower intake.

The positive ID is to measure the lower intake
302 is aprox ~ 8 inches wide
351 is aporx ~ 11 inches wide

New Intake need upperand lower, the gasket patern is diffrent from 5.0L/5.8L. So you can't mix an upper and lower between the two. The 5.0L uses squared ports and the 5.8L uses oval ports. If you get an intake from a junk yard it will have the matching fuel rail.

Fuel Rail: The 5.8L is a wider engine so the fuel rail is wider. You can get this with the intake from the junkyard. Some people have cut the nylon tubing off the 5.0L fuel rail and used EFI fuel hose to make it wider.

Distributor - the 5.0L/5.8L distributors look the same but... The only difference between them are the oil pump drive is larger on the 5.8L.

Computer - You must get a 5.8L computer from a truck just like your 5.0L. If you have a E4OD transmission you must get a 351 computer from an E4OD truck. You should be able to get this off a junkyard truck just like the intake. Just don't get one that was on a flood damaged vehicle ;)

Exhaust Crossover - The 5.8L is a wider engine so to connect to the exhaust manifold you'll need a wider corssover. There are a few options to acomplish this. The stock crossover's are part of the first converter, so it is an expensive part to buy new. You can get it used, or have an exhaust shop build you something custom. remember to keep O2 sensor and install it about 6-12" away from the cylinder head

Oil Pan - The 5.8L has a larger crank with larger main journels. So the oil pans are not interchangable.

EGR - They use different exhaust tubes to connect the EGR to the exhaust. The 5.0L gets exhaust from the lower intake, while the 5.8L gets exhaust from the passanger exhaust manifold.

Below is a 5.0L EGR:

Below is a 5.8L EGR

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Looks like I got myself a 5.0. Wish I knew all this information before I bought it haha. Glad I finally joined this forum, been lurking for awhile now and have already learned how to fix my 4x4, tailgate window and drivers window.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Thanks everyone. Looks like I got myself a 5.0. Wish I knew all this information before I bought it haha. Glad I finally joined this forum, been lurking for awhile now and have already learned how to fix my 4x4, tailgate window and drivers window.
PO of mine did the same thing. Told us it was a 5.8. It says 5.0 right on the manifold.:brownbag I wasn't the brightest back then.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The old way is look at the water pump,If the water pump touches the heads its a 302 if it has a little more block space between the water pump and heads its a 351.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks for the threads. this was helpful. I thought I had a 5.8 but now I think it is a 5.0 based on the EGR location. The only question I have. My motor has headers on it. Is it possible they re-routed the EGR on my motor or would the 5.8 headers have a connection for the ERG? thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought the intakes may have had 5.8 in the casting but I don't see it in the pics from my engine..I believe there is a measurement you can take between the heads that will tell you what it is, but I can't remember of the top of my head..
I would of sworn mine said '5.8' as well... going to have to check now.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,200 Posts
Later models had the 5.8 cast in the intake plenum. Early models just said electronic fuel injection.

·
Registered
30 Posts
big Blue 94, Not sure what your post means in relation to my question about my bronco if it has a 5.0 or 5.8---mine is a 1993. I bought it as an abandoned vehicle--so I have no history in from the previous owner

·
Registered
30 Posts
I measured across my intake manifold and it was about 9.5 inches--I thought 5.0 was 8 " and 5.8 was 11" across--confused. maybe I measured the wrong thing?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,200 Posts
I wad responding to the post above mine. Have you still not figured it out after two years? My 94 had 5.8 in big numbers cast into the upper intake.

Look at where the distributor mounts into the block. Behind the mounting hole is a key location in determining 302/351. If there is about three quartes of an inch rim of block material between the distributor mounting "flat" or boss, and the intake manifold, then it's a 351. If not, it's a 302. This difference is due to difference in deck height between the engines.

This is the 5.8 intake I was referring to

Reactions: bmad01

·
Addicted to Junk
13,200 Posts
Ah nvm, I thought you were the original poster lol. Didn't pay enough attention

1 - 20 of 22 Posts