Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was hit in an accident a couple years ago but have experienced no ill effects since. i didn't even think the impact was felt by my wheel.

anyway, what happened was on my was home today. i was traveling on the highway when i felt up and down vibration in my steering wheel. and i noticed that my front right wheel was bouncing up and down. i could see this because the front corner of my hood was bouncing. i slowed down and checked it out and, there seemed to be nothing wrong with the wheel, tire, or their connection to the truck. i continued on down the road and it seemed to be fine. i noticed that it would begin to shake more at higher speeds. when i got home i looked at the wheel and i could hear it cooling off i poured a little water on the wheel near the lug nuts and it sizzled right off into steam.

i guess some friction caused the wheel to get so hot. it is too dark and when i got home the wheel was too hot to take off but when i am able are there any ideas as to what to look for to be the problem. i realize this could be tricky.

sorry for the long post i just wanted to try to get everything in it i could think of to help get suggestions.

·
Registered
710 Posts
... could be brakes locking up and warped your rotor. Mine was just doing that (getting hot, not bouncing) pulled the wheel off and sprayed off the mud that had caked on there, now it stays where it should be temperature wise. Your brake might just be seizing up.

Could be a bearing as well.

only way to tell is to jack it up and turn it by hand, see if the brake is holding it. If it's kinda bouncy and grindy feeling pull your caliper off and then turn it, if it's still bad feeling then it's time for bearings.

I'm betting on a brake seized up though...

if it was bouncing and it's the brakes fault, then you're gonna have to replace that rotor. it's a little tricky, but not terrible. Bad design on the rotors of these trucks, most cars you replace the rotor and hub as one unit, these you have to split them, the lug studs hold the whole shebang together...

don't drive it till you figure it out. a bad rotor is one thing, a bearing seizing up at 60 on the highway is another...

·
Registered
710 Posts
ps...

post back up here and let us know what you find out. plenty of folks on here can walk you through any repair on that truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply. good suggestion. ill be able to take a look soon. hopefully before the weekend.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
If its bouncing up and down you probably lost a wheel wight to and the wheel is out of balance. Add that to the list of things to look for.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If its bouncing up and down you probably lost a wheel wight to and the wheel is out of balance. Add that to the list of things to look for.
:stupid

good thinking! I missed that one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts