Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you suppose to guess at what shims go between the carrier and the bearings? then beat the bearings on the carrier and hope that you are right? Because I don't think that I will be able to get the bearing off after I knock it on. Please help I am in the middle of this project.

Picture of carrier, bearing, and shim

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so maybe hone one of the old bearings out?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This gear swap was a pain! Man, I should have done this with someone that knew what the heck they were doing :twak . I beat all of the bearings on with shims that I thought looked right. Here is 2 pics of the drive and coast sides of the ring gear painted, what do you guys think? good - bad

Ring gear pics

I already installed everything and it seems to drive perfectly while under 35. But when I hit 35 mph there is a slight vibration, however when I get over 40 mph the vibration stops. I am hoping the vibration is from the passenger side u-joint that is messed up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
are your hubs locked in? otherwise it shouldn't be the passenger side U-joint as it won't be spinning (unless you're in 4wd)

check the front pinion yoke for looseness, check the front driveshaft u-joints, check the front wheel bearings for play (maybe the locknuts are loose?) and check the balljoints and tie rods. have your tires balanced as well to eliminate that possiblity. usually bad gear set up will create noise as opposedd to vibration, but I could be wrong, I'm not an expert on this just trying to help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya the hubs were locked. Everything is tight, I am pretty sure that it must be the axle shaft u-joint. I was talking to a mechanic at my work and he said that if the gears are not aligned properly they won't stop vibrating after 40 mph like that, they will cause more and more vibration.
Everything should be fine.
-Derik

1 - 7 of 7 Posts