Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
81 bronco dana 44 front.i am trying to put new mile marker hubs on.i had to hammer around the old hub to get it off.when it came off i noticed 2 L-shaped things that are(were) on springs,they are accross from eachother.one of them broke off.i have searched,read the manual and directions that came with hubs.should the spring things come out also? the old hubs dont look anything like the new ones.all i did was unscrew the alan head screws and got the cap off.i dont even see the big locking washer.thanks for any help

·
Registered
183 Posts
mile marker hubs

bronco guy, first, I'll let you know that if you do a search you will find alot of info on what you want to know.
Now, I can tell you this: I have an 85 fullsize and just put mile marker manual locking hubs on today. Now I think the 81 would be the same as an 85. There are 2 clips that hold the in hub part of the locking hub in place. The first clip is the snap ring that goes on the stub axle near the end. The second clip is a round steel ring. The ring is located inside the axle hub (the hub I'm talking about is the part that the locking hub cover goes against) Look real hard at the inside edge of the end of that hub. You will see the clip, it fits in a groove inside the end of the hub. Look for an opening in the ring and us a small screw driver or pick to pry up one end of the clip to get the clip out.
If your hub is anything like mine, you cant remove the locking hub assembly unless you remove these 2 clips.
If you do a seardh in this forum I know there is a better explaination of what you need to know.
Hope this helps.
Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts