Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i am trying to time the beast by using a timing light but once i hook everything up, nothing happens. No light is produced. I tried adjusting the clamp that goes to number 1 spark plug wire, nothing. Tried adjusting positive and negative cables, nothing. Tried putting clamp on beginning part of plug wire, nothing. Thought maybe Number 1 was on other side, so i switched sides, still nothing. Disconnected battery terminals and connected timing light posi and neg directly to battery, nothing. Then i thought the timing light was broken, so i tried it on a different car and it worked fine. Truck was running, spark plug wire was in between the clamp gap, got good grounds. What is going on?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
It could be a bad spark plug wire/connector, or a very weak pick-up on the light.

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
im with daddy172005, seeing as how you said it worked fine on another vehicle, you must not be firing correctly through that wire

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just to be sure, make sure all wires are in correct order. It does sound like you've got a bad plug wire. Lisle makes a pretty cool spark tester/indicator. Pretty cool gadget. Keeps you from having to use a screwdriver. OReilly has'em.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. Im gonna try again tomoro and check to see if its back plug wires. Just to be sure, the best timing for these trucks are 8-10 degrees BTDC right?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
10° is the factory setting, most drivers find 12° to 13° optimal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: timing light works, problem was bad ground. Bad news is when i tried timing the truck, the marking was no where near the indicator point. I marked the crankshaft for 10 degrees BTDC with white out and it was too far forward (or down whichever). So i tried retarding the dizzy to bring the marking back up to the point indicator and was not able to. The closer i got to the indicator the truck would die. I think the PO misplaced the crankshaft pulley. At least that's the only thing i can think of.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Update: timing light works, problem was bad ground. Bad news is when i tried timing the truck, the marking was no where near the indicator point. I marked the crankshaft for 10 degrees BTDC with white out and it was too far forward (or down whichever). So i tried retarding the dizzy to bring the marking back up to the point indicator and was not able to. The closer i got to the indicator the truck would die. I think the PO misplaced the crankshaft pulley. At least that's the only thing i can think of.
You may have to just start from scratch then---find TDC @ #1, and then put on some of that 'timing' tape that the auto parts places sell.........

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
spOUT = spark output plug needs to unplugged on EFI engines to set timing, it's usually right near the distributor off the harness right up front there......

To better see timing marks, take some light sand paper and clean the Harmonic Balancer where the timing numbers are then paint that spot silver so it will show up better when you use the timing light AND clean/paint the timing marker as well....just takes a few minutes and doesn't have to be pretty you know, just illuminate the numbers for visual..

Did you pull out the distributor for any reason......?

** If necessary I would start from scratch, pull the #1 spark plug out (all plugs out would be better) and with a torque wrench, drive and 15/16 socket placed on the crank bolt, finger on the #1 spark plug hole, turn the engine by hand until you "hear and feel" a "good push of air" indicating the #1 piston is at BTDC BUT beware of "cross-over" where the pistion has peaked and is now heading downward. Once you feel you've got the piston at BTDC now set the Harmonic Balancer to 0 (zero) on the timing marker....check to make to make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 lead on the distributor, if not "rotate" the rotor CCW unitl it does.

At this point replace the spark plug in # 1 etc. and check wires for correct firing order and it should start..... go back and check with the timing light (working...lol lol..) and see where the timing is now and advanc eor retatrd to OEM specs. probably 10 degress BTDC......all of this is in the Haynes Repair Manual for reference....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
pull the spout as said above and before you have it running verify #1 TDC, alot of times the balancer has spun or even off from the factory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts