Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was hit before but since i was doing it i thought i post a few pictures of my progress.
The TTB 44 has a drain plug boss but was not drilled. I am almost ready to install the limited slip and 4:56 gears. since i want to change the fluide after the diff break in and normal diff fluide changes i wanted a faster easier way to do it instead of dropping the 3 member each time. so here is the stock 44 drop out.

(sorry for the clutter but there always seems to be 4-6 things going on at a time in this small garage.)
i then used a center punch and drilled a pilot hole and steped to 11/32 drill bit. I thne used a 1/4" - MIP tap and threaded the hole.

I wanted to use a plug that would not stick out to get rubbed off on rocks or catch up on anything. so i had this allen head plug. next step prime and paint the drop out and then to the gear shop.

hope this helps anyone deciding to do this this was a 30 min job with basid hand tools and drill....mike

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Looks good I wish I had done mine

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Collin

Looks good, but what I want are pics of your TTB going back together and while it's apart. Include lots of captions to answer our questions; like how hard was it to take the TTB apart, how long did it take, etc.

Keep up the good work

Sixlitre

Todd and Redwagon

You can do it with the gear oil still in and in the truck. Took me minutes and no chance of getting shavings in the TTB, if you follow my method;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17957#content

Sixlitre

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
Sixlitre said:
Collin

Looks good, but what I want are pics of your TTB going back together and while it's apart. Include lots of captions to answer our questions; like how hard was it to take the TTB apart, how long did it take, etc.

Keep up the good work

Sixlitre

Todd and Redwagon

You can do it with the gear oil still in and in the truck. Took me minutes and no chance of getting shavings in the TTB, if you follow my method;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17957#content

Sixlitre
Hey Six...thanks for the link...

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this was a spare ttb center i was given from a co-cluberGus hackler (Again thank you alan). i have not removed my front yet so yes lots of pics whae i get there in the next week or two (waiting on tax return)i do not want a locker so i was looking at Auburn or true track limitd slip. i going to price both at west cost diff when i drop the center off. I got a Auburn in hte back right now. I will try and get a picture of the plug tonight. it had a wrap of teflon tape and did not leak at 180 PSI so i thinking of the same system for this or plumbers pipe dope.I got to get this back down to the smog shop first and get my paperwork and ticket cleared--ticket for mud flaps, and improper use and installation of a kicense plate light. all fixed now....mike

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
collinsperformance said:
this was a spare ttb center i was given from a co-cluberGus hackler (Again thank you alan). i have not removed my front yet so yes lots of pics whae i get there in the next week or two (waiting on tax return)i do not want a locker so i was looking at Auburn or true track limitd slip. i going to price both at west cost diff when i drop the center off. I got a Auburn in hte back right now. I will try and get a picture of the plug tonight. it had a wrap of teflon tape and did not leak at 180 PSI so i thinking of the same system for this or plumbers pipe dope.I got to get this back down to the smog shop first and get my paperwork and ticket cleared--ticket for mud flaps, and improper use and installation of a kicense plate light. all fixed now....mike
Are you sure you want all four wheels limited slip ?

I'm curently 3 wheel drive in that only my rear axle has limited slip. I remember a pile of guys debating this several years back. One of the guys that had a limited slip front said he always unlocked one manual hub in the dirt because it got squirrelly if he didn't.

Your money, but what a shame it'd be to spend all that time and money and find out it wasn't worth it.

Strikes me it was Steve83

Sixlitre

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Sixlitre said:
Are you sure you want all four wheels limited slip ?

I'm curently 3 wheel drive in that only my rear axle has limited slip. I remember a pile of guys debating this several years back. One of the guys that had a limited slip front said he always unlocked one manual hub in the dirt because it got squirrelly if he didn't.

Your money, but what a shame it'd be to spend all that time and money and find out it wasn't worth it.

Strikes me it was Steve83

Sixlitre
There are a lot of guys running ls up front. I think the people that unlock a hub are running spools or detroits. I think in a ttb, the Powrlok is the ticket in that it is a lot stronger than the trac lok and is less likely to break an axle.
The Auburn is o.k for the strip but the brass clutch cones wear faster in a 4x.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
where'd you get that drian plug?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had an old air compressor sitting that had this 1/4XMIP plug. so i will wire wheel clean and prime and paint it. these are avalable at any home center.

mike

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
for anyone doing this research the drill size required for your tap. As it isn't the same size drill or one smaller always.

BTW on the LS issue i have the Trac Lok up front and it has about 2k miles on it and seems more like a locker as i can't turn for shitz unless clutch in or idling real slow around corners, also neither front tire doesn't spin, they always spin and with a full locker in the rear it is fun under icy accel as the whole truck slides over

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
85f150 said:
for anyone doing this research the drill size required for your tap. As it isn't the same size drill or one smaller always.

BTW on the LS issue i have the Trac Lok up front and it has about 2k miles on it and seems more like a locker as i can't turn for shitz unless clutch in or idling real slow around corners, also neither front tire doesn't spin, they always spin and with a full locker in the rear it is fun under icy accel as the whole truck slides over
I done used this one because I had lots of sharp 7/16" drill bits;

Sixlitre

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Yup, it could be Fractional, numbered (wire gauge 1-60) or Letter drill bit.
Heres a list I compliled last week for a project
60% thread (I think thats standard)
1/4 20 No 7
1/4 28 No 3
5/16 18 F
5/16 24 No 1
3/8 16 5/16"
3/8 24 Q
7/16 20 3/8"
1/2 13 27/64"
1/2 20 29/64" (the drain on my 9" is this size)
9/16 12 31/64"
9/16 18 33/64"
5/8 11 17/32"

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
85f150 said:

Locker in the rear on icy pavement or wet rock can be tricky in and of itself. If a rig is used on road frequently in ice and off road, selectables, at least in the rear is the best way to go.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
BlueBronco said:
Locker in the rear on icy pavement or wet rock can be tricky in and of itself. If a rig is used on road frequently in ice and off road, selectables, at least in the rear is the best way to go.
See i am just the opp i luv the locker in the rear, i barely even lock the hubs in anymore in the winter unless i am out playin.

I was just saying with the added front LS, the truck just slides horizontally upon take off because of no lateral traction....but i wouldn't go back...........

Now get yo drain plugs in and change that fluid people :beer

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Very good write-up, collinsperformance....:thumbup

I am doin mine the same way except with a Sending Unit for the Oil Temp. Gauge.....:thumbup

I'll get pics when I am done...

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Offset of the gears, but i decided against a flushmounted, which I kinda regret. I may run one later but its only 3-4 threads to hold it in, so I figured haveing it tight would be good:thumbup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts