Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped the carrier in front to do a D 50 shaft upgrade, got curious about adding some protection to the diff. has anyone seen something like this

Or would a D44 cage like the one pictured fit the TTB as well as the heep rear end?

·
Registered
163 Posts
That TTB is pretty tough already. You'd have to beat on it pretty hard to do any real damage to it! A regular D44 axle needs protection because it's just a sheet-metal cover that's on there from the factory. The TTB is much heavier than that.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
:stupid

The TTB is 1/4" thick, minimum. A popular way of armoring a solid D44 is to cut the cover off of a TTB and bolt it in place.

If I was home I'd take a picture of the TTB that was under my truck that got wrecked. The cover hit a rock that left a pretty good gouge in it, but didn't deform it. Now the arms of the TTB were a WHOLE other story :doh0715:

If you really think you need more, just weld some 1/4" plate right to the housing.

Justin

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you damaged it enough to need to replace the 'cover', then that would probably be the least of your problems! You'd have probably broken the TTB in several other places and possibly even knocked it out from under the truck!

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
I smashed a boulder doing about 10-15. Brought my truck to a dead stop. Besides a minor scuff everything was fine. The rock was cracked though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I smashed a boulder doing about 10-15. Brought my truck to a dead stop. Besides a minor scuff everything was fine. The rock was cracked though.
the worst i did was hit a series of 2 or 3 3inch curbs doing 65-75 mph ( was kinda too occupied to look at the speedometer) on one of those circle roundabout turn things. It fixed my alignment problem:thumbup. but then later i accidentally hit a 6inch curb at an angle doing 30 and bent a tierod:banghead, all because my spit cup tipped over and i tried to grab it:doh0715:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.