1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Item name:TTB D44 8-lug swap parts
Price:$175 shipped

Description:
I'm selling the following from my 8 lug swap seen here- http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/lift/8lugswap.html

Pic from 8 years ago-

Two spindles
Two wheel hubs
16 wheel studs
Two caliper backing plates
Two well-used Warn Premium lockouts (worn but functional)

You will need two rotors, two calipers, wheel bearings if desired, and your own spindle studs. The application to obtain your parts is a 4x4 1972 Chevy K-20.

Because these are the earlier style Dana 44 parts, the inner wheel bearing is much larger than ones used the internal lockout style D44's. I can honestly say I've never had wheel bearing issues with what I had even running 39's. These parts are dirty and could use a good cleaning in a parts washer to clean up the old grease and a fresh coat of rattle-can black. When it stops raining, I will get a pic up of the parts as they are now.

Location (City): St. Paul, MN
ZIP CODE (for shipping calculations): 55119
Will you Ship? (Y/N): Y

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
i would swap to chevy stubs. i think the ford stubs are 1/4" or so longer if i remember right which does not allow you to get the snap ring in there.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would depend on what you have. I had an '88 with the flange hubs so my outers were 8.5" in length where a Chevy D44 is just under 10" (9.94") in length.

If you look at this chart-
http://ford.off-road.com/ford/bigbr...Article/detail/198390?contextCategoryId=25892

1980-1986 and 1989-1996 already has the right length outer stubs. I remember having to make my own snap-ring groove which wasn't hard. I used my air cut-off tool with a thin 3" disc to go around and cut the splines enough to get a clip on there.

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
Where did you get your spindle bolts? Thats the last part I need to finish my Chubby 8 lug.. (And hoping my Ford outers will be ok. I think you can get away with not running that inner snap ring can't ya? It may move a bit but it doesn't have enough room to back all the way out. Your route sounds ok. Shouldn't be difficult to cut a new snap ring groove.

I hate to buy those spindle bolts from the dealership as I'm sure I'd be in for a A$$ raping...

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you get your spindle bolts? Thats the last part I need to finish my Chubby 8 lug.. (And hoping my Ford outers will be ok. I think you can get away with not running that inner snap ring can't ya? It may move a bit but it doesn't have enough room to back all the way out. Your route sounds ok. Shouldn't be difficult to cut a new snap ring groove.

I hate to buy those spindle bolts from the dealership as I'm sure I'd be in for a A$$ raping...
Did you read my write-up?

Description:
I'm selling the following from my 8 lug swap seen here- http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/lift/8lugswap.html

I also ran into a problem of the Chevy spindle studs being too long and hitting the back of the rotor for some reason. I knocked out all the studs on one side, reinstalled the Bronco studs and found out they were too short. I then swapped the Bronco studs back to the Chevy studs and cut off 1/16" off all the Chevy studs.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pic of what will be shipped-

If I get my full asking price, I'll include brand new (1ea)-

Inner wheel bearing (BR368 $24)
Outer wheel (BR35 $12)
wheel seal (25077 $5).

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Anyone considering this, I really recommend doing this swap if you are tired of your 8.8.

My 8 lug TTB conversion has held up great for 2 years so far. Broke one ujoint, but I cant afford the 5 grand to do a D60 swap right now, and also cant afford replacing my 8.8 every 3 years so I had to go 14 bolt in the rear.

So if you are in the same situation running big tires, tearing up 8.8's and need 8 lugs....this is a great idea and a great price

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
Item name:TTB D44 8-lug swap parts
Price:$175 shipped

Description:

Pic from 8 years ago-

Two spindles
Two wheel hubs
16 wheel studs
Two caliper backing plates
Two well-used Warn Premium lockouts (worn but functional)

You will need two rotors, two calipers, wheel bearings if desired, and your own spindle studs. The application to obtain your parts is a 4x4 1972 Chevy K-20.

Because these are the earlier style Dana 44 parts, the inner wheel bearing is much larger than ones used the internal lockout style D44's. I can honestly say I've never had wheel bearing issues with what I had even running 39's. These parts are dirty and could use a good cleaning in a parts washer to clean up the old grease and a fresh coat of rattle-can black. When it stops raining, I will get a pic up of the parts as they are now.

Location (City): St. Paul, MN
ZIP CODE (for shipping calculations): 55119
Will you Ship? (Y/N): Y

just for reference, the external lockout has an inner bearing that is 3.5" and .65" in roller width

internal lockout k20 is 3.22" but is slightly wider at .6693"

and just for reference to 1/2T stuff, the bronco inner stock is 3.0625" with a width of .5937"

both k20 are certainly bigger than 1/2 ton stuff, but there is little difference between the model years....pick a larger diameter bearing or a wider one, they are both bigger and very similar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts