Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used the search to no avail.

When I dismantled the ttb for restoration, I noticed the drivers side radius arm looked different than the passenger side and was pretty nasty with rust. Looked like the po cobbled the thing together......
SO ordered a new driver's side r/a from Ford -
# E8TZ-3A292-A
(the actual # on the NEW radius arm is E7TA92BB and on the old one it was ? E7TA05BB ?) [hard to read but this is my best guess]

...my crash book FOR 87-91 calls for a E0TZ-3A360A

When trying to install y'day, I noticed the threaded rod (at the bracket end) was not as long as on the pass. side. maybe by about 1/2". This is enough to keep the nut from threading on.

As a side note, the pass side axle arm and radius arm had a tell-tale yellow crayon (junk yard) marking so I think some of it has been relaced/repaired. The r/a bushings were also pieced together so I decided to buy all new Ford stuff and Poly bushings. The drivers r/a bracket looks correct and looks like its in the correct spot.

Any ideas (no, I dont want to swap to a solid axle) :whiteflag

thanks in advance

J. R.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Gacknar said:
I dont understand your question.
:stupid

Drivers side holds the third member.....Watts your question?

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I edited the original post for clarity....but.....

long and the short is the threaded end on the drivers radius arm looks too short. I cant get the nut on the end. I even tired pulling the r/a rearward with tie down strap to collapse the bushings.

Should I post a pic??

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
j. r. Nice said:
I edited the original post for clarity....but.....

long and the short is the threaded end on the drivers radius arm looks too short. I cant get the nut on the end. I even tired pulling the r/a rearward with tie down strap to collapse the bushings.

Should I post a pic??
yes post pic

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I think there are diffrent arms. When I installed my lift kit, it said that some broncos needed the special 1" spacers on the new arms. I installed the arms without the spacers, well needless to say I had take it all apart and put the spacers in because the arms were too long. It fit perfect with the spacers in. 94 bronc if it helps.

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, it's an '89

heres the Dr side. All the bushings and spacers are there according to the Ford repair manual. There are no threads left to start the nut on. As I said, I even tried a tie down strap to compress.

Passenger side (inside shot) - no problems.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You will need to compress it a lot more than that. Try a come-along between the RA and the tranny cross-member. It's hard to get the nut started, but it'll snug down nicely once you do. Those get tightened to something like 160 ft-lbs, which does a lot of crushing of the bushings.

Also, make sure you've got the spacer on correctly. The front part of the rearmost bushing should fit *inside* the spacer, if I remember correctly.

The passenger side is longer to fit the heat shield for protecting the bushing from the heat of the cat. At least, on my `94 it is.

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so this is "normal"? If I am sure I have the right parts I can probably force it on using a ratcheting tie down or a come-along or a combination of both.
I do realize they are torqued pretty tight and it collapses the bushings. I just want to make sure before I go to all this trouble that I have the correct parts. If this were a pristine un-screwed-with Bronco I wouldn't have worried about it, but since it appears to have been pieced together it gave me pause. I cant understand why the passenger side is 1/2" longer to make room for a sheetmetal heat shield......amazing.

I can see how the made the difference.......the base r/a is the same (ignoring the shock mount holes)....and the threaded "rod" on the r/a is the same, they just weld it further out on the pass side.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
The stock heat shield has one of those thick steel washers on each side of it. That's what takes up so much room.

You also are using Poly bushings, which are a bit of a beyotch to compress, compared to the rubber.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
As an example, after fully torquing the nut, the distance between my front washer and the front of the radius arm is about 1/2 inch.

EDIT: That should be "radius arm bracket" above, not just "radius arm".

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gacknar said:
The white spacer is turned the wrong way.
As a point of reference, the way I have it, the white spacer would actually be on the backside of the mount and basically surround the rear "lip" on it. I think it's correct the way it is as it came from the Ford manual.

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sewiv said:
The stock heat shield has one of those thick steel washers on each side of it. That's what takes up so much room.

You also are using Poly bushings, which are a bit of a beyotch to compress, compared to the rubber.

ok...let me give it another try!

thanks all!

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
j. r. Nice said:
the way I have it, the white spacer would actually be on the backside of the mount and basically surround the rear "lip" on it.
Thats correct.
Looked backwards in the pic.

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the help/encouragement.....it's back on. Not an easy feat but used a combination of everyone's suggestions!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts