Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

TTB fluid change...what a PITA

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Bronco85 
#1 ·
Why wouldn't Dana Corp. put a drain plug in the TTB axle? Would it have been that much more $$$? Or was this one of Fords better ideas. I just thought it was a Pain In The A$$ to get a suction tool to get the diff. fluid out. Prolly cuz all I had was a tiny siringe type thingy about as big around as a coffee straw. Oh well, lesson learned.:banghead

#2 ·
I got an attachment that goes on my drill and creates the suction. It is really easy to drain the pumkin with it. I bought it to drain the oil out of my boat engine, but I am sure that tons of places have them. It was a West Marine that I got it at, don't know price. The hand pumps are crap, got one of those for the boat first and at 1/2 a quart out of five I was ready to kill, but only to tired.

#3 ·
There was a write up on one of the Ford diesel sites where a guy put a drain plug in his D50 TTB. I'm too lazy to search the web for it.

Basically just drill into the bottom nice and slow using the appropriate size bit, gear oil will start coming out once you've made it thru :D Then flush it out with a little more gear oil if you're worried about potential metal shavings. Tap it for NPT, throw a pipe plug in it and go 'wheeling. If you tap it right and use the right plug it'll be nearly flush if not completely flush, thus no concern about ripping it off on the trail.

Of course the better solution is remove the TTB, turn it into shop art, and do an SAS :goodfinge

#7 ·
I accidentaly drained my TTB's fluid when I had the axle assembly out for the lift install. I left it laying upside down, and it all drained out the vent tube all over the driveway. That was a mess.

#8 ·
Bronco_89XLT said:
Why wouldn't Dana Corp. put a drain plug in the TTB axle? Would it have been that much more $$$? Or was this one of Fords better ideas. I just thought it was a Pain In The A$$ to get a suction tool to get the diff. fluid out. Prolly cuz all I had was a tiny siringe type thingy about as big around as a coffee straw. Oh well, lesson learned.:banghead

They do have drain plugs in Australia:) ****ing Aussies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.