Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know when you reverse the TTB turns into a "/ \" shape. No big deal. I am running 37's so that does not help but heres my problem. When I am reversing my front end starts swaying drastically back and forth. It does not happen when going slow but if I got up to 5mph or more it is completly out of control. I have to slow or stop otherwise I think something is going to give way. Not to mention I can't keep it even close to straight. I am thinking a stabalizer or two will help. Also going to do that gear box adjustment Dustin was just talking about. But I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. I need to get this fixed before the snow starts falling as I am plowing out in Mass. this winter with the Bronco. And if any of you have ever plowed snow before you know half the time you are going in reverse and many times pretty fast. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
not too sure but I think the tightening of the steering box will help control that a little bit .. I am sure the wear of the bigger tires helps contribute to some play :shrug

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Yeah, all I could maybe suggest is that stabilizers might kinda mask the problem, but you already thought of that.

I think the problem is probably just that in reverse your toe and caster are all wrong. I'm not just trying to rip on TTB, but it's hard enough to align it to make it go straight while going forward down the road. There's just too many variables with TTB and in reverse it loads up completely different as you've noticed.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Keith_L said:
Yeah, all I could maybe suggest is that stabilizers might kinda mask the problem, but you already thought of that.

I think the problem is probably just that in reverse your toe and caster are all wrong. I'm not just trying to rip on TTB, but it's hard enough to align it to make it go straight while going forward down the road. There's just too many variables with TTB and in reverse it loads up completely different as you've noticed.
I think what he really means is that your TTB is suffering from a syndrome often known as D-60 Envy. A common problem among lifted trucks running large tires on stock ttb.

The stabilizers should do exactly as they say, Stabilize it....But, I wouldnt hold my breath thinking they are going to cure it completely.

By chance, How is the ride going forward?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
How are your radius arm bushings? What about the plastic spacers? That would be my first guess... either they're loose, or the spacers are cracked.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
1. Check the stering shaft vibration damper (aka rag joint).

2. Check the pivot bushings.

3. Have you had it aligned recently?

4. Make sure the pitman arm is tight.

5. check for play in the tie rod ends.

6. Are your ball joints worn?

7. Are the rivits holding the crosmember to the drivers side frame rail, next to the stering box loose?

8. how are yor radious arm bushings?

9. I would not eat them on a boat, I would not eat them with a goat. I will not eat green eggs and ham I will not eat them Sam I Am.

I hope this helps ya out:toothless

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Gacknar. Hows your truck drive with 456:1 gears? Just a little slow?

And don't ya mean

I will not drive a TTB on the road, I will not drive a TTB offroad. I will not on a TTB at all Sam I am!!!

Oh ok it's lame but Works almost over for the day:toothless

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Bronco85 said:
Gacknar. Hows your truck drive with 456:1 gears? Just a little slow?
Not bad really, I like it with the 456's alot better than I did running the factory 355's and 35" mud terains. The rpms are not that far from stock, and with overdrive it cruses down the highway with no problems at all.
:thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts