Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys settle this argument once and for all for me I have 1990 Fullsize Bronco, i love the thing to death , now part of the fun of haveing a 4x4 is going mudding and offroading, now everyone i talk to say the ttb setup is weak and is crap and a straight axel is the way to go, since i dont have the know how or money to swap to a straight axel im prayin for some good news, im not a huge mudder i just like to play every now and then:thumbup so help me out guys gimme some good news

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I wheel mine all day on 37's. I know im pushing it but i dont care parts are cheap and I have yet to break anything in my ttb. 35" or 33" tires would be the best bet. As for strength its arguable. Just as strong as a solid 44 but more u joints.

If you want ALOT of strength D60 is the way to go but will not bolt in at all.

I say stick with the ttb and wheel it. If you keep breaking shit upgrade.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I second that, wheel it till it breaks... but I will say this, I hooked a comealong to mine to pull the tranny up to the block (on a jack with wheels pointed in the right direction) and it flexed like a russian gymnast...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wheel my 95 with 31's through anything I can think of and never break anything. You just have to know when to let off. I hillclimb, mud bog, sand, woods. everything. Worst thing I have done is ripped the exhaust off but it was rusty shit anyway. Stick with 33-35 and your TTB will be just fine

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Well the TTB is a Dana 44... Basicly just cut in half. What makes it weaker than a solid D44 is the fact that there is more u-joints in the ttb. So for over all strength the ttb is pretty strong.... The reason why people want to do the solid axle swaps is because the ttb doesnt give the articulation (flex) like a solid axle does for rock crawling.

So if your gonna keep your bronco stock height, or even go to 33's or 35's then you should be fine with the ttb.
The problem comes in when you do lift the ttb and wheel w/ 33's or 35's...... You'll get the itch to go bigger :toothless

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I wheel my 95 with 31's through anything I can think of and never break anything. You just have to know when to let off. I hillclimb, mud bog, sand, woods. everything. Worst thing I have done is ripped the exhaust off but it was rusty shit anyway. Stick with 33-35 and your TTB will be just fine
hahaha! I did too!

·
Registered
180 Posts
iv got 38.5 ground hawgs on mine now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the info the reason i ask is like i said no one ever says any good about them, c mine had been wrecked b4 and dad and i put it back together using his old 89 bronc that had high miles so dads opinion is that thier weak and he told me when my bronco got hit it folded the ttb like it was a tin toy, and dad says it wasnt hit that hard, but come on it was hit for petes sake, i play in the mud i dnt drive it off a mountain,although its a Ford, it could probably take that lol and i need some pointers on how to get this beast out of some muddy places cuz ive had to be pulled out by a tahoe, so im bound and determined to out wheel this tahoe so any advice from someone who knows how to handle one of these things in the mud tell me, Ive got a 5.0 mustang that im gonna try and beat a 06 gto and a 90 bronc thats gotta out wheel a tahoe, Its GONNA B THE SUMMER OF FORD BABY!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
good luck beating that GTO... just a head and a cam swap (and tune of course) for him gives him enough HP to split your block.... I know a guy in Longview, TX that has twin turbo'd 1200hp in his, stock bottom(prolly rebuilt by now)... and gets 20+ mpg.. you see a silver goat with purple flames... respectfully decline...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hehe this guy hes got all the little bolt ons it was rly quick but he made one mistake he underestimated my knowledge or a 5.0 he thought he was just gonna run away from me i spanked his ass all the way to 65 then he killed me by like 2 cars but since last summer ive ported and polished my gt40p heads and put 194 and 160 valves n them and 24lb injectors and a 255 lph trickflow fuel pump ive got all the bolt ons too and a trickflow stage 1 cam so yea my motors maxed accept for a tune but the monster screams now so i think i can take him now but yea if he does anything serious like a cam or head swap im doomed plus he hails from money so if i beat him this time thats probly wat hell do but its real easy for the rich boys to get shit done, its guys like us that spend a day under our car and walk in that nite w bloody knuckles thats in a sense y im doin this to prove my hard works better, and u can tell this kid know nothing about wats under his hood all he knws is wat the summit mag tell him

·
Registered
331 Posts
well if he went with patriot heads which are cheap and damn good (even for fords now i hear as my 5.0 buddy is on board with them) and cams arent that much really, so he wouldnt have to be rich (cept for that GTO he has) to mod an LS whatever if ya do the work yourself... I have 377rhp out of my LS1/at TA from borla cat back exhaust, tune, SLP air intake and smooth bellows... but thats all for another forum...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as much as i hate to admit it the ls1 and ls2 motors r really hard to beat and with mods thier almost unstoppable, if i could beat him the way he is now id b happy, plus ive got to take on an srt4 that i thought i had whoopd but didnt so hes gotta go down to but yes this is all for another forum, back to the broncos lol and thanks again to all for thier time any mudding advice for an inexperienced weedhopper is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
331 Posts
hehehe I do love the gofasts.... but this bronco of mine is my first 4x4... cant wait to get it running so I can get my dummass stuck in the mud... I got some real good goo to get in by lake lavon, and well right across the street is the Nevada Mud Pits once a month... so after being woke up one saturday morning by wide open exhaust, and riding shotgun with my work buddy up in Wasilla, AK Im chompin at the bit...

·
Registered
180 Posts
what track times you runnen in that mustang?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i havent been able to get it to the track since ive done all this my buddy that helped me build it swears if i put a set of drag radials on it and if it hooks itll b a high 7s car and my buddys ben racing 5.0s for years so hes kind of the guru on the stangs but its fast as hell lol if i could run in the 8s id be really happy bad part is since ive had the head work done it will tear the tires a part 1st to 3rd and get a 4th gear scratch hehe yeehaw

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and crash my broncs my first 4x4 too and i thought i was smarter than this mud pit that was an old track bed in the dead of winter....lol didnt wrk out vry well for me i made it 30 ft in and cocked it on its side and was between mud and a hard place literally i was lucky i didnt put a dent in the middle of the door so i rly have a lot to learn ive been driven my stang for the last three yrs its my baby so im gonna give it some rest i got my bronc back in december and i had it for three days then too it to the track bed, best part abt haven a 4x4 is all the girls call ya to pull em out or give em a tow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts