Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have recently bought a 83 Fullsize and it has the TTB front setup. I don't really have any clue about 4x4s so I have been reading on different sites and most of the post I have read suggest doing a SAS as soon as possible. Also that the TTB really isn't worth a damn. Is this true or would it be fine running like 35 or 36 with the ttb and still be able to get out and enjoy some trails until I learn more. Or should I just kind of suck it up and save some money and to the axles before anything else? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
990 Posts
TTB isnt as bad as alot of people say. Best IFS out there IMO. There shouldn't be a problem running 35's on it as long as its not locked, or your standing on the gas pedal.

·
Banned
38,676 Posts
The TTB is everybody's favorite punching bag, but it's a good axle for a 1/2-ton 4WD off-roader/weekend warrior/daily driver; probably the best. It has more travel than any other stock IFS and better handling than most (if you keep it aligned). Just drive it for a few years and see what you think.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,564 Posts
learn the truck before you dump a lot of $$ into a SAS or many mods. Know how you will use it prior to building it.

Mine's still TTB/locked/35s have yet to have "problems".

Its great for what it is.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I agree with Locopny. To many people fall for the whole TTB is a pile of crap. Keith Lawyer says it all the time and people listen. I have wheeled my TTB for 3 years and never once busted a Balljoint or anything like that. I had one issue because I welded a cap on an axle shaft wrong and it popped out. There are a lot of people that wheel the piss outta there rigs with TTB and don't have an issue.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
In defense of the people that say TTB is crap while still standing by the "you can wheel your TTB" It all depends on what/how you wheel. Alot of the folks like Keith, dustin, Plug ugly, etc. are out west and wheelin' rocks and such...Alot of things can be an issue such as: articulation, situations that put your axle in a bind and can break things, etc...but us boys in the south don't have nuch of an issue as long as we can get enough clearance we can usualy wheel just fine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: TTB haters aren't right or wrong...like locopny says..know what you wanna do with your rig, test out it's limitations and make a descision based on your specific needs!! Happy wheelin'!!!:beer

P.S. the mud churnin' "Beast" you see below.......TTB!:toothless

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
the TTB is fine even in stock form for most wheeling. take off the sway bars, get some 33s and a locker and you will be amazed at where you can go.

yes, keith_l bags on the TTB, but look at the wheeling he does. if i wheeled like keith, i would have a 1 ton SAS too. but how many people that are currently doing, planning, hoping for an SAS or whatever wheel as hard as keith. some people fall into the whole mentality of hes doing it and people think hes cool, so i need to do it to. then they get all stuck up on how they have to have a big 1 ton SAS to wheel ANYTHING. well, the stock TTB is more than capable enough to get you through a lot of stuff. sure it has its drawbacks, but so does everything else. if the TTB can survive the Con and Moab, then it can't be all that bad.

oh man, i'm starting to sound like badass....:brownbag

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Steve83 said:
better handling than most (if you keep it aligned).
ROTFLMAO. I dunno how anyone can tolerate TTB on the highway for long periods of time..............especially lifted TTB.

Just 'cause it survives on the trail doesn't mean it's well-designed or functional. I mean you could drive a shopping cart across the Rubicon..... let's assume it survived, would you say, "it's not that bad." Bottom line, it still performed far worse than a rig with functional wheel travel.

Not only does TTB suck on the trail, it sucks on the street IME. Given all that, I just can't find any redeeming qualities of TTB, at least most IFS shines on the highway.

That said, to the original poster: go hit the trails and have fun! 'Wheel what ya brung.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Okay, thanks for all the info. I think I will just get the lift and leave the axle alone for now. I agree I need to learn some before jumping in too far but I didn't want to buy a lift and then try to wheel and not be able to perform and then have to get a new axle and a different lift all right at the beginning. Thanks for the help.

Oh, for lift kits is there a difference for a ttb lift and a solid axle lift? I am guessing yes but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
OK, I got to chime in here. TTB is great! It has advantages over a solid axle for high speed womping and jumping. TTB tracks better at speed. I do believe a solid has it's advantages crawling in the rocks and ruff because of forced articulation. I still have yet to get anyone with a solid to compare wheel travel with the TTB. I suspect that with 6" springs and almost 16" of travel that the advantage of forced articulation in the solid is offset somewhat by the travel of the TTB.
A solid one ton is not a fair comparison, of course it's going to be stronger, brake better, and hold-up to large ass tires.
Wheel what you got and modify it to what you do. That said, I don't live in AZ anymore and find the trails here in CO to be Rocky (Rocky Mtn's). If, or when I break the TTB, I would go solid for the terrain I have experienced here.
So far TTB with 37's is holding-up though I am lucky to get out once per month, I'm not heavy on the throttle in breaky situations, I drive around the breaky stuff when I can, and am carefull to lock/unlock the ARB's in tune with the bind.
Alignment is no problem is you have adjustable caster/camber bushings with a proper lift (drop down pivots/pitman and extended radius arms).

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have no problem with mine and I run 35's with a 6" lift and it is my daily driver. It runs just as strait on the highway as it did before I lifted it. And I have had no trouble off road with it, granted I dont go jump off big rocks with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts