Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of breaking axles, it seems like every time I go out on a wheeling excursion I break one. Heck, I just got done replacing another one this afternoon.:banghead

I like the ride quality of the TTB, but that is about all it has going for it. If all goes well it will in a scrap heap soon, I'm hoping to have a D44 for my SAS by the end of the week.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I agree go 60 .. if you keep breaking shafts you apparently have a heavy foot

what size tires are you running and what conditions are you wheeling? :shrug

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a D44 for cheap, heck I was offered it for free, radius arms and all. I've been trying to catch up with the owner so I can go look at it and see if it's worth my while.

If the deal falls through or the front end is destroyed, I'll start looking for a D60.

I'm running 33x12.5 MT/R's with a mini-spool, and a modified 300L6. I wheel anything that looks like a challenge..........with a heavy foot.

BTW--I've broken 4 axles in less than 10 months. The one I replaced today sheared off near the splines at the carrier.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
multiple axles with 33's huh? ..... you better learn a little finesse Bro :shrug

just a thought ... try a little more skill as opposed to a little more skinny peddle :confused:

show us some pics ...

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The Yak said:
a mini-spool, and a modified 300L6. I wheel anything that looks like a challenge..........with a heavy foot.

BTW--I've broken 4 axles in less than 10 months.
:wtf :wacko :thehand

A spool in a TTB axle and you're breakin' shafts? No you say? Yeh, you need to step up to a beefier axle...like a Rockwell. You're only going to keep snaping shafts if you go with the 44 and 78/79 inners are harder to find then TTB parts.

You might want to think about hub fuses.

Good luck.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I've wheeled my bronco for 3 years with no breakages. not even a broken ujoint. No problem with a TTB. I'm betting that spool is the issue

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Howdy Yak,
This is my first time responding to you so first
let me introduce myself.

I'm Ponyboy or Howard if your into first names.
I have a 95 XLT 5.8lt like it says at the bottom of the post.
And notice the tires I'm running.
The TTB is a lot stronger than you give it credit for.
But absolutly not the place for any kind of spool.

The only problem I have ever had with my TTB is a bent
tie rod that was all my fault (hit the mud going tooooo fast)

The front end you have is plenty strong for wheelin,
Flexin well thats another story, But don't blame all your woes
on the axles if your gonna run a spool on a multiple pieced
shaft system.

Shiet yes it's gonna break on ya. Take the spool out and
see if you like it. Hey it will save you axles and money in the long run at the least.

Sorry for the gripe but your barking about the TTB for the
wrong reason.
I'm running the same tires in a 37" and have yet to break
anything, and I wheel it damn near every night of the week.
The only gripe I got is the lack of flex.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll look into hub fuses today.

Most of the pics I have are not digital, this is one of the only pics I have that is.....

I'll try to take a digital camera with me more often on my future outings.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
that's your problem :shrug .. and dropping like that with wheels spinning on a straight D44 probably won't help much unless you have alloy shafts and CTM's too

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Damager said:
that's your problem :shrug .. and dropping like that with wheels spinning on a straight D44 probably won't help much unless you have alloy shafts and CTM's too
dude. alloy shafts and CTMs aren't goin to help with jumping like that. if he had a straight axle in there, he would have broken the housing by now. he should be thankul he has a TTB if he drives like that.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That pic is about two years old, I don't drive like that very often anymore, old age I guess.

My next time out, which will be this week hopefully, I'll try to lighten up on the 'go' pedal and hope for the best.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.:thumbup

FSB--> :twak <--ME

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pony-Boy,

Thanks for the info, I look into that at my local film shop.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Andy351 said:
dude. alloy shafts and CTMs aren't goin to help with jumping like that. if he had a straight axle in there, he would have broken the housing by now. he should be thankul he has a TTB if he drives like that.

exactly, but it's the only chance he gets at trying to survive that kind of shit :shrug

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The nearest Wallyworld is 55 miles from my house. I think I'll buy myself a digital camera for Christmas, until then, I'm stuck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts