Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked in paint a little tonight... these are for my lower links gonna try to turn these on the lathe friday if the steel for them is available at the shop... im trying to find some tubing 2.0OD with a 1.0ID lcoal (maybe even 1.0625ID) to machine these with... if not ill drill some solid stock... if it gets to the point of being not worth it ill bail on the idea.. however TA's are about $13-$14 a piece for 1.125x12 thread and im not super happy with there short length

anyways... they sell this first one.. its for 2"OD 1.5"ID (.25" wall)... most fab companies sell them.. however im thinking about running slightly thicker lower links.. i think 2" OD is plenty large(the 2.25"OD just looked absolutley massive in my hand today... thats what she said blah blah) however a lot of people were bending 2" .25 wall... most were in small rigs too.. i wont see the absolute extreme wheeling that some of those guys do, however my rig weighs twice as much as most of theres...im not real interested in sleeving them with 2.25 .125 wall either... that diameter is just plain huge... and theres no johnny joints i can find available w/ a 1" stud so i can run online sold adapters

hopefully on the lathe friday... im gonna swing by the steel yard again tommorow if i have time...

first one... the one most people sell... if i can use a piece of 2" solid that has been sitting in the shop for two years for free ill prolly just make these... if not ill buy them...not worth the cost in steel and machine time... this is for .25 wall tubing

Second one: this is for 5/16 wall tubing which i think they had there..

Third: for 3/8" wall tubing(what id like to use if i can find it) the thickness of the threaded bung are is only 1/8".. i think that will be okay though..

some will notice that these are 3 inches long... im opting to add length... ive never been a fan of the ones made(2 inch overall length is the longest made thats not "chromoly race style"... it only gives 1" of shank into the tube...)
these will leave 2" into the tube which i think is better... they may wind up longer

enjoy... hopefully ill get on the lathe this friday...maybe next... i have to get the tubing so i can matcjh the adpaters..

dc

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Do have the taps to thread them? I think that is what hinders most from making there own (cost) and if you do why not just thread the tube instead of turning your own adapters?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well im trying to find the tubing the right wall thickness to get down to my thread size... ive got a 1.125RH... wasnt planning on making LH...

if i can find some 2" 0.5 wall tubing i will tap it directly... jsut havent found it yet

dc

edit: fwk for some reason ive been thinking they were 1 1/8 studs... there 1.25!!!!!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i see that... its nice adjusting both ends... im researching a LH tap... im sure we dont have one there... i may just buy them... however i wanted to run something thicker in wall...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
yea i see that... its nice adjusting both ends... im researching a LH tap... im sure we dont have one there... i may just buy them... however i wanted to run something thicker in wall...
When buying taps, don't buy the standard H4 size that most sources offer. IMO it cuts too far oversize, resulting in a sloppy fit. This leads to premature thread wear and can cause the jam nut to come loose over time. If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to research thread classes for heim ends and buy the tap accordingly. Have you asked anyone at the fabnet about it? I haven't been there in a while.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts

Find a 'real' machinist; he will know how to cut the threads without a tap.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea we will see... thank rept ill ask the boss.. im sure he knows...

im shooting to find the tubing i need in a size i can nearly tap directly.... id like to avoid drilling 1 - 11/64 so i can run the 1.25 tap...

ill keep you guys updated... im going tubing shopping again tommorow

rept... what size were you looking for ill check on availablity...shoot me a PM

dc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts