Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here recently I have been wanting to get into some projects that require bending tubing. Just wanted to see what size/thickness y'all are using for cages and rock rails and such. Thanks in advance for the info.

Karl

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cages are .120 wall or .095 depending on the area used.

Rock rails & bumpers vary from .095 (too thin IMO) to .250 (too thick IMO) depending on who builds them & what they use them for, etc.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Here recently I have been wanting to get into some projects that require bending tubing. Just wanted to see what size/thickness y'all are using for cages and rock rails and such. Thanks in advance for the info.

Karl

just about anthing for standard use will be .120 tube 1.5" as the "norm", with some variation off that, example being I've seen cage corners done where they are beefed with either a plate steel or maybe some 1 or 1.25 tube for triangulation.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What "norm" are you using here?

I've seen plenty of 1.75" tube cages in a full size rig (much more often than 1.5") and based on the new SCORE rulebook many are starting to go to 2" dia. tube.

2" isn't needed for the vast majority of the people, and 1.5" will work for some. If it's a basic play toy but you're still seeing some ok speeds I'd say go 1.75".

Then again the design and craftsnamship of the cage plays a much larger part in safety than the difference between 1.5 or 1.75" tube diameters.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
norm for trail use, not racing. he said he's getting into some projects, so I'm assuming this is not for sanctioned racing events. I said "norm" as well, just to indicate a starting point for most commonly used material. If for some reason something needs more or less, adjust as needed.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
why is .25 wall too thick? is it just more weight for the added safety?
1/4 wall tube for the average driveway mechanic is very hard to work with. I make my Pivot Kings out of 2x2x1/4 and sometimes it gets to be a bi*** even cutting it.:doh0715:

·
Registered
203 Posts
1.5" dia. is still too small IMO for a "trail rig" - especially one with the weight of a bronco. 1.5" is good for a tacoma or ranger - not a full size truck.

As for .250" wall - I'm assuming you mean this for sliders and not a cage - right?!?!?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts