Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1996 XLT Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see most threads on here regarding tuning are pushing 10yrs old or more.
What has changed, and what is regarded as the best tuning options for broncos now?
I'm finally getting around to tuning my 96 408w bronco sport and some fashion of remote tuning help.
I'm told some of the options like tweeter RT are outdated and I should go moates quarter horse.
What's best for 96 EEC-V?
I want future tunability (I will be changing tire/gear size), several switched performance positions, ability for me to learn and mess with after paying someone for either initial tune remotely or a pre tuned chip.

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL
1,149 Posts
Holley terminator x and a stand along for the trans

·
Registered
1996 XLT Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL
1,149 Posts
Why?
Based on experience of both systems?
It's what I'm going to run eventually. It's expensive. Per my friend who is a tuner and it's starting at Hennessey, the Holley system allows it to be dialed in perfectly. It shows them to really fine tune things vs something like HP tuners which of the standard for LS stuff. Tuning these old sbf cars is a pain in the ass to get dialed in right. Additionally, the Terminator doesn't control the trans so you need a stand alone for that. Overall it is a very expressive option but if you want the best, that's it. I'm only doing it because I'll be going 408w and probably cool near plug. Of

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
It's what I'm going to run eventually. It's expensive. Per my friend who is a tuner and it's starting at Hennessey, the Holley system allows it to be dialed in perfectly. It shows them to really fine tune things vs something like HP tuners which of the standard for LS stuff. Tuning these old sbf cars is a pain in the ass to get dialed in right. Additionally, the Terminator doesn't control the trans so you need a stand alone for that. Overall it is a very expressive option but if you want the best, that's it. I'm only doing it because I'll be going 408w and probably cool near plug. Of
That’s is an expensive wiring harness… and it’s not the best… there are a lot better options that are easier to use.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I run a PimpXShift. However it’s not plug and play on OBDii.

It runs a Megasquirt 3 with add on trans controller. The self tuning is very good. The only place to go really wrong is timing. If the engine drifts far from stock, then a dyno tune is best for setting timing.

The trans takes a little goofing around to get the feel right. It comes with aggressive shifts.

The only frustration has been hot starts. Part of that is my own fault for not being methodical and documenting how changes are working.

I also have a Tweecer in another car. It does not self tune. A lot more complexity. Workable but takes much more research and data logging to understand how to make changes.

Reactions: Mikulh

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm running a PimpX in my '91 and have been very pleased with it.
I can't make any comment on the transmission control since mine has a 5-speed, but I've been very happy with it for tuning the engine.

·
Registered
1996 XLT Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s is an expensive wiring harness… and it’s not the best… there are a lot better options that are easier to use.
Like what? I want to make an educated decision based on all the options.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Edlebrok ProFlo 4 harness and ecu with 7” Android tablet is the same price and allows the end user to tune… or go full monty with the complete system for $1000-2500 depending on injectors and with or without tablet.

Edelbrock 358500 FUEL INJECTION

Holley Sniper- but you have to buy an intake manifold for it.

·
Registered
1996 XLT Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had correspondence with stinger performance on the pimp xshift. Sounds like in my position unless I want to convert my 100pin obd-II harness to 60pin obd-I it may not be worth it.
Sniper is a good option, gotta spend $$ an intake either way.
Pro-Flo 4 is very enticing!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I've had correspondence with stinger performance on the pimp xshift. Sounds like in my position unless I want to convert my 100pin obd-II harness to 60pin obd-I it may not be worth it.
Sniper is a good option, gotta spend $$ an intake either way.
Pro-Flo 4 is very enticing!
Having done snipers an proflo4 on other rigs… I would chose ProFlo.. better customer service, and a lot easier to tune than sniper.

·
Registered
1996 XLT Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I stick to the Ford ECU, how is the SCT X4? I found a local tuner that can do Dyno tuning for me, but he will only deal with the SCT X4 on my setup. Is it worth it, and will I get the power/$ value as other routes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts