Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody ever do or hear about single or twin turbo on the older broncos like ours.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I dunno, the thought crossed my mind. Two t3's from an 80's chrysler might work well on a 7.5:1 CR 400. I just wonder if the pistons can take it....

I know one thing, there is PLENTY of room for some turbo's in there.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
problem is detonation, turbos create alot of heat, open champer heads are not the best design for turbos, but if you want to run high octane, you might be able to get by with something from one of the aluminum heads out there.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Probably find a lot more info if you went to a Mustang site for turbo questions. But then of course that only halps much if your running a 302

·
Registered
221 Posts
jopes said:
problem is detonation, turbos create alot of heat, open champer heads are not the best design for turbos, but if you want to run high octane, you might be able to get by with something from one of the aluminum heads out there.
just to add, in order to get any decent power (thats worth investing the money) you'll need to go with larger turbo like a t3 or t4, but the larger you go the more turbo lag you will have, which is not really ideal for off roading if your trying to take it slow. Heat is a big problem because thats what will cause detonation, the only way to really avoid it is with a front mount, but once again off roading you will be going too slow to really show any effects.

·
Registered
647 Posts
there are independent turbos made now that mount in the rear and replace muffler air is piped back up front, seen it on a couple trucks now

http://www.ststurbo.com/

maybe something like that could be set up to run on a bronco :shrug

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
roach57 said:
there are independent turbos made now that mount in the rear and replace muffler air is piped back up front, seen it on a couple trucks now

http://www.ststurbo.com/

maybe something like that could be set up to run on a bronco :shrug
main problem with that is the air filter is to low. i do mostly mud and very little any thing else. ive had mine in water as deep as the side moulding. with that setup it would suck up water and destroy the turbo and engine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
davids78bronco said:
Exactly why you might not want to pursue the idea
i was thinking with a turbo in the engine bay the inlet pipe for the filter could be run throuhg the firewall inside the cab to prevent just that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
351cleveland said:
supercharger..........
thats what i would think... esp for them 5.0...

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I think the turbo idea is do-able with a 351 or 400. I've been putting some research into this. Not that that means much, mind you, but I think it would be a good engine to turbo.

The turbos,should they happen to be well thought out, with properly selected BOV and metering would produce power very low on a power band with little lag.

The idea would be 2 small turbos, not one large one, to produce low end torque.

if SOMEONE should ever happen to put fuel injection one to one of these engines *ahem* I am sure this could become a brilliant project.

I just happen to have a set of headers for a 400 that are built and currently having a T-3 flange machined to be put on.

They point forward.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Oh wait! Yah, I also meant to say that I was having trouble telling if the quench..or lack thereof on stock heads, would prove to be any problem.

As for that..I dont know. I really think the heads would be the limiting factor here. The grind of the stock cam and the low compression, size of the block and the access to rear-of-the-block oil galleys seem to all be of very good use for a turbo charged engine.

That can be solved simply enough, though, as there are now some quality aftermarket heads as well as the non-US combustion chamber heads.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts