Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The combo switch is the turn signal switch. I don't have a part number but that's what was wrong with mine when it did the exact same thing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I learn something new every day.....

RLKBOB said:
One of your rear turn signal/brake light bulbs is blown out.

I see a couple of you guys are on this track. Why is that? Why would a blown bulb cancel the cruise?

Will

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
When you hit the brakes the cruise shuts off. Not sure exactly how this causes it but with a blown brake light hitting the turn signal has the same effect on the cruise. If I remember right it's the opposite bulb from the signal that shuts the cruise off. My dad called me last summer when he was on a trip up north with the same problem and I told him he had a blown brake light. I think his R turn signal would kill the cruise and I told him that his R brake light was blown and it turned out to be the left.

I don't know if it would do the same thing on your 88. I think this will only happen on the newer trucks with the electronic cruise, not the vacuum controlled cruise like we have. Don't know for sure though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You were 100% correct.

RLKBOB said:
If I remember right it's the opposite bulb from the signal that shuts the cruise off. My dad called me last summer when he was on a trip up north with the same problem and I told him he had a blown brake light. I think his R turn signal would kill the cruise and I told him that his R brake light was blown and it turned out to be the left.
The left turn signal caused the cruise control to cancel but it was the right tail light that was out. I would have never thought of this on my own.:beer

·
Registered
858 Posts
just to add to this thread my turn signal will affest my wipers every time i hit the turn signal my wipers will go off but only when the wipers are on intermitaly thax in advance

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I believe that when you have a burn't out brake light on one side,and you move the turn signal to the other side,you create an open in that circuit in relation to the brake light switch so now there is no continuity to ground for the module to sense.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
slaga said:
When I turn on the left turn signal, the cruise control turns off. Right turn signal does not affect the cruise control at all. I searched and the only thread I found says to replace the "combo switch". Does anyone know the part number and/or have a diagram of this switch?

Pulled from the search:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40495&highlight=cruise
I had this happen to me, turn left turn signal on, and it cancels out cruise. Only the left turn signal though. That was about a year ago. I didn't really care since shortly after the whole cruise control brake pressure switch causing fire stuff got hot and heavy, and so mine was disconneced. Anyway, I went to ford and got the new switch and either it fixed itself or this new harness cured it. all I know is that mine works fine again now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts