Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having trouble with my trun signals. The rears work perfectly, I put a brand new blinker relay in. No power to the front signals. I have power to the sockets because the parking lights do come on. Not sure if it is related, but I don't have dash lights either. No indicators or anything. What do you think? Turn signal switch in the collom?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm thinking it may be your turn signal switch in the column, but before you decide to replace the whole assembly, I recommend disconnecting all wiring to the switch itself and clean the contacts. It may be dirty, not allowing current to pass. Then, before you reconnect them, apply a little dielectric grease.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are two filaments and circuits in the lamp sockets. Check you have power to both. Just because the parking lights work doesn't mean the turn circuit is good. Do your hazard flashers work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Never put DIelectric grease on something that you WANT to conduct electricity.
My bad, perhaps a conductive grease like NOALOX would be better (if you really wanted to use grease in the first place). But, dielectric grease is an insulator of sorts. It does not prevent a current from going through two metal contacts that are touching. It prevents arcing and corrosion from getting to the current and the connection. It should not insulate the two, unless there is a gap between the two. So if you clean the terminals and they make proper contact, dielectric grease will work great as a corrosion preventative and lubricant. That is the only reason I suggested it, used it on several electrical components sparingly and has never caused me any issue.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Dielectric grease is widely used on electrical connections to protect them. Its insulating properties are not nearly good enough to cause any trouble between electrical connections, because the contacts displace the grease. It prevents corrosion, seals connections from the elements, and prevents voltage leak.

Whatever your personal thoughts on dielectric grease is, those are the purposes of it, and the description of any dielectric grease will tell you exactly what its for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So as far as the signals, when I got the truck I had none. No front, no rear, no hazards. So I replaced the round relay in the fuse box. After I did this, the rear indicators worked. I put new bulbs in the front sockets, no signals, but the parking lights come on when I pull the headlight switch out to the first notch. I have put a test light into the socket and have not had any lucking getting anything for the signals.

As far as the dash lights, I have none at all. None on the gages light up and neither do any indicators. No turn signals, no high beam, no 4x4. As far as I know the dash has never been out of the truck.

So what do I have to remove to get to the signal switch connector and where is it located?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You NEED a wiring diagram.
You haven't answered if your hazard flashers work. They use a separate flasher ( the round thing is NOT a relay, just a flasher)

You say the rear turn signals work, what about THOSE indicators on the dash?

Do the rears actually flash? Do they light up steady?
Do your brake lights work?

Are ALL your fuses good?

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Whatever your personal thoughts on dielectric grease is, those are the purposes of it, and the description of any dielectric grease will tell you exactly what its for.
Have you ever actually read the instructions on any dielectric grease?
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound&category=Greases

"Suppresses voltage leaks"

Now, who is expressing his "personal thoughts"?
More than you apparently;

" suggested application, electrical connections"
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2
------http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/CRC-Dielectric-Grease-2F136
"Electrical contacts" http://www.super-lube.com/silicone-dielectric-grease-ezp-52.html

Shall I continue?

Its utter madness to try to tell people that putting dielectric grease on electrical connections is bad...because that is what it is used for!

You are expressing your personal thoughts, based on anecdotal evidence, if even that.

Why exactly, other than "its an insulator" is dielectric grease not recommended to put on electrical contacts, contrary to all of the major manufacturers?

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Sigh.

OK, you win. Motor craft is a major dielectric grease manufacturer, and permatex isnt. Ford isn't in business in order to make money either, so they are much more reliable than other businesses.

Not only do most dielectric greases recommend use on electrical connections, every time I make a new connection in my truck I use it. Why? Its too thin to mess up the contacts, it gets out of the way, and it displaces water and other shit that ruins your connections.

Tons of people here and everywhere else do it as well, per the directions on their tube, with no problem. The point is when you have a pinned connection, like lots of them are, the grease displaces harmful crap, insulates the pins avoiding voltage leak.

But your one motorcraft tube must be more correct than all the others.

I bet you twenty bucks more people have a tube of permatex than motorcraft in their garages too.

I'm done though with this though, and I'm going to out dielectric grease on a bunch of connectors tomorrow as I always do, and they'll be fine as they always are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any tips on getting the connectors apart without breaking them? Yes it does have cruse, so which connector is the correct one, I assumed the larger of the two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts