Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-inlaw traded his '80 Bronco for a '96 and complains that the turning radius of the new truck is drastically increased.

Is there a difference between these trucks or did Ford just adjust the steering stops to reduce the number of idiots going wheels up on fast corners?

Looking at his new truck there are two little plates screwed to the front of the axle housing. Either these are stops that could be easily removed or they are sacrificial material put there to keep the steering stop on the knuckles from digging into and weakening the housing over time.

The adjustable steering stops on the back side of the axle appear to be screwed in all the way. Removing the bolts would give you the thickness of the bolt head more turning. Maybe you could just grind the head thinner for sharper turning?

All my trucks are solid axle rigs, and I don't have any experience with the twin I beam front end. Can anyone explain the difference between the '90 and '96 and advise me what I can and should not do to adjust the turning radius on the new truck?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
IME, Ford adjusted the steering stops on the fly. The 92 came with factory 31s, and had the stops adjusted so the tires didn't hit the radius arms or track bar. Put 31s on the 90 (that came with P235s), and they rub.

You could try replacing the factory stops with new bolts and adjust them until the tires *just* rub.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I take off the little stop plates screwed to the front of the axle housing? They appear to have no other function. Do all the Broncos have these?

·
Banned
18,425 Posts
No, only late-model axles have those. There are plenty of differences between each generation of D44IFS, but most are insignificant. Yes, you can remove them or grind the bolt heads. I'd do the bolts because you can easily adjust them out if you find you don't like the modification for any reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts