Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf's son just called.They're working on a '96 F-150 5.8l.
He says it turns over fine but not getting any fire from the coil.I have no idea why they tried this,but if they hook jumper cables to it,it starts.
Has anyone ever heard of this or know wtf is up with that?
I thought maybe TFI or PIP,but when he told me it'll start with the cables,I drew a blank.Anybody got anything?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IDK,or TDK,they just showed up for dinner and he says it's a brand new battery.Says it also has a new coil and ignition module.
Now they say after they "jump started" it a couple times,it's starting fine.The owners gonna let it sit for a while and try it again.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
My gf's son just called.They're working on a '96 F-150 5.8l.
He says it turns over fine but not getting any fire from the coil.I have no idea why they tried this,but if they hook jumper cables to it,it starts.
Has anyone ever heard of this or know wtf is up with that?
I thought maybe TFI or PIP,but when he told me it'll start with the cables,I drew a blank.Anybody got anything?
First, it probably was NOT turning over fine.

My first impression from your statement above was that they jumpered power to the coil. IF that is what they did, and it started, then the problem is likely in the ignition switch, or the NSS (digital transmission range sensor).

My next impression is that he jumpered his battery.
Did he set his jumper cables properly? pos to pos, and neg of good battery to engine block of engine being jumped?
IF so, I'd suspect a bad ground wire. Especially if they tried pos to pos, and neg to neg, and that didn't work.

Like fireguy asked, it would be helpful to know what voltages we are working with here.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Also dont know what kind of experience they have as far as troube shooting goes. They need to be sure the terminals are cleaned up till they shine. If they are not there is no way of telling if the starter solenoid is getting a full 12 volts. The problem I am reading about tells me there is alow voltage issue with the system. If the battery is new then something is not letting the full power of the battery get out. Could even be a bad ground as well. They need to check all of the ground wires like battery to block , block to frame and back to the body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts