Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

Alright... I've searched around and I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, but could be looking in the wrong places.

I have a 95 5.8 Bronco. Recently, I can't get it to start.

When I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump engage and the motor turns but it keeps turning and doesn't start.

Some background: Prior to this issue I did have an idle issue while driving and I thought I resolved it but I thought during heavy acceleration that I would smell rich fuel... almost smelt like rotten egg. Originally, once warmed up or driving for a bit, the idle would kind of jump around... really high while stopped in drive and higher while in park... sometimes driving it would kind of jolt the transmission. I did a series of tests and troubleshooting:

A. Tried to pull codes. Engine light would only come on momentarily during strange idle instances. When I pulled codes I didn't get anything except a high idle.
B. Removed and cleaned IAC valve - same issues.
C. Tested the TPS and got strange readings. Once I reconnected it however, the idle problem went away. Via readings within the forum I decided it must have been a dirty or bad connector and I cleaned the connections. The idle problem was gone... however I would occasionally smell the rich fuel I indicated above.

Now.... it turns and turns upon trying to start but just won't go. Not sure how to safely test spark (or if I should yet do so) and the fuel pump seems to be working (I hear a 3 - 4 second whine when I turn the key to the on position). Not really sure where to go next. I've read in other posts and on Ford Fuel Injection that the TPS can cause a non-start and I'm skeptical that could be the problem due to the above mentioned issues... just not sure if there are things I should do before I go purchase parts.

Suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,501 Posts
Start with the basics. Have you checked all of your plug wires. Also, your cap and rotor. What condition are they in? Could be moisture getting in there and preventing it from starting.

If you're smelling rich fuel, you migh have a leaky injector, or bad FPR. Pull the vac line from the FPR and see if you smell gas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay... thanks for the response.

I've just checked the wires and cap. I think they look good; pretty darn new actually. The rotor looks almost totally clean also.

Next I pulled the red vacuum tube from the FPR and smelled for fuel. There is a faint gasoline smell. Would this prevent the truck from starting?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I'm at a little bit of a loss here. Is it possible in trying to start it that it flooded a little and that's why I smell fuel from the FPR vacuum line? Could this be why I'm not getting a start?

I'm contemplating buying a new FPR and trying that but I'm not sure if this is why I'm not starting... are there other things I should be checking first?

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts