Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read up in Haynes and cannot figure out if there is a way to adjust the TV cable on an AOD by myself. Does anyone have any suggestions as I am having trouble getting my wife under the truck to hold the cable attachment. I don't have any friends:cry................that are willing to help.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The biggest problem with getting her to help is that she won't. I am 100% positive that she cannot get up into the engine compartment(8" of lift). I have been playing with the idea of using a bungee cord to hold the cable attachment while I re-clamp the throttle attachment. I just don't know if it will be sufficient(I have never done the adjustment before). I don't want to screw it up doing it wrong.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been a while since I adjusted one, but as I recall, it's ALL done from the top. :shrug Yours will be slightly different from this pic:

As I read it from the Haynes manual the actual adjustment is done from the top but it says to have someone hold the transmission TV lever against the idle position stop. I think I can handle the adjustment up top but am having trouble getting the wifey under the truck. I just need someone to hold the damn lever under the truck.

The transmission is shifting into gear(R,D,etc.) fine it just will not shift out of 1st when in drive. The fluid level is ok and the only other thing I can find to do to it is the Tv cable adjustment. Any suggestions?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
I just did mine the other day again on the 87, 5.0. First off, find that plastic 'C' clip thing on the cable at the t/body. Get a real thin flat tipped screwdriver and lift up that C clip until it clears the tiny miniature teeth on the coupling goody. Now that squarish plastic male part will slide back and forth thru the female housing. Put a few drops of lite weight oil on the parts and push/pull a couple of more times. Then I got a twenty inch rubber bungee on the TV lever at the tranny and then pulled back and hooked it towards the rear on the frame. Then I played 'guitar' with the bungee (near the trans) to get about 10 lbs of pressure on it (pulling it rear wards). After that it's back to the throttle body and cable. I checked to make sure it wasn't binding (but DID NOT move it in or out!) and then pushed the C clip back in and over to lock it. Voila. Oh yeah, I DID not release the entire cable assembly from the bracket---just pulled the C clip out. Hope this makes sense.

My truck shifts like a dream now. Have fun.........

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate that mini how-to. From reading through it in the Haynes I pretty much had that but you did clarify a couple of things. I have been told that no shifty is NOT TV cable issue. I am still gonna try it in the morning. I am also gonna change the fluid and filter as the gasket has a small leak. And it cannot hurt a transmission that is already not shifting. I am just trying to get everything fixed so I can get it sold and get my 95 back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.