Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would document my Tweecer install on my 351. Started out with a MAF conversion using a WAY1 EEC from a 95 F150 with an E4OD.

Here's the kit, everything you need to get started. I got the RT so I can do datalogging in later on.

Remove the e-break, you can see the back of the EEC

Plenty of room

At this point I had already taken the harness off the front all I had to do was slide the EEC out.

Here it is..the port cover popped right off..they say some of the J3 ports have a rubber coating on them. mine had this white grease that came off pretty easily with some rubbing alcohol.

The Tweecer connected..the USB cable will be plenty long to come up to the center console.

Here it is installed, they recommend a piece of tape across the back as a precaution.

I took some rubber electrical tape and wrapped it around the bulkhead to keep it from accidentally chaffing the wires..

That's as far as I got this evening..hopefully I be able to get it hooked up to my laptop tomorrow.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
What in the world is a tweecer???

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
A device that allows a person to modify the stock calibration of the EEC.

Basically a tuner for your bronco

Nice work, jer.....now start the learning curve to unlock all the potential of your truck.....its a steep hill....im stil climbing

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
He is converting his SD (Speed Density) intake to MAF (Mass Air Flow). He can now add high horsepower items and then custom calibrate his computer to accept and run with the changes.

I like it Jer. Are you gonna use your regular laptop or are you gettin one purpose built for this like Derrick did? Was it Derrick? I think so.

Anyhoo if it WAS Derrick, he sold his Bronco and I can't remember if he did the conversion. Maybe he still has that laptop kickin around?

Oh and can you post links to where you get the stuff and maybe the $$$ if it's ok?

EDIT: I didn't even know we had a section for this :brownbag

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read here...http://www.tweecer.com/products.htm

A device that allows a person to modify the stock calibration of the EEC.

Basically a tuner for your bronco

Nice work, jer.....now start the learning curve to unlock all the potential of your truck.....its a steep hill....im stil climbing
Thanks..looking forward to really seeing how much improvement I can make. The learning curve is all part of the fun..

He is converting his SD (Speed Density) intake to MAF (Mass Air Flow). He can now add high horsepower items and then custom calibrate his computer to accept and run with the changes.

I like it Jer. Are you gonna use your regular laptop or are you gettin one purpose built for this like Derrick did? Was it Derrick? I think so.

Anyhoo is it WAS Derrick, he sold his Bronco and I can't remember if he did the conversion. Maybe he still has that laptop kickin around?

Oh and can you post links to where you get the stuff and maybe the $$$ if it's ok?

EDIT: I didn't even know we had a section for this :brownbag
Thanks Joe, I have a small net book that I plan to use just for the Tweecer, it's small, compact and if I break it I'm not out that much $$..Already loaded all of the software and drivers last night. will take more pics once I get everything hooked up..hopefully tonight.

I bought directly from Tweecer http://www.tweecer.com/products.htm, Mike Glover the owner seems like a nice guy..very responsive.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After installing, I got everything buttoned back up and went to start my engine..the fuel pump came on and wouldn't turn off. Was able to get the engine started but it wouldn't idle right, it was hunting up and down and sounded like it was going to stall, CEL was on the whole time..

Turns out the switch is shipped in the #1 program position which is blank until I read my EEC..you need to rotate it all the way clockwise to the last position so it will run with the stock EEC program..:doh0715:

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
yep....

If your fuel pump doesn't shut off after a few seconds when the key is turned on something is wrong with the eec.

...I also didn't realize we had a tuning forum....

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's sort of tough to find if you're not looking for it, so I don't think a whole lot of people know about it right now..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Jermery, I've been playing with the idea of getting a Tweecer for a couple years but had never heard of anyone on this site explain how they fared with it. It's also nice that you are in Jax so I can maybe come see it how it works first hand.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Jermery, I've been playing with the idea of getting a Tweecer for a couple years but had never heard of anyone on this site explain how they fared with it. It's also nice that you are in Jax so I can maybe come see it how it works first hand.
I have a moates quarter horse(very similar).

It is fairly simple to get the engine running and idleing. Once you have everything hooked up, you just load a calibration with some very basic modifications for whatever new parts you have.

The hard part is learning all the bits and pieces to tune the engine so that it will perform optimal, have no driveability issues, idle smooth, get decent gas mileage, and not go lean during hard acceleration and blow apart.
Its a lot of long nights reading, reading, reading, then making slight changes and datalogging to see if what you did helped or hurt.

The more radical your engine is, the long it will take to learn and tune. A mostly stock engine with just intake/exhuast would just need some fine tuning. My 393 stroker is going to take a while to get dialed in. A boosted 460 would even be more complicated since you would be trying to control an engine with a EEC that it was never designed for.
It is worth it thou. Theres a guy on eectuning.org that gets right at 30mpg from his modified supercoupe using a quaterhorse.

I find it fun. Some people say Im a little weird thou. I've been piddling around with the tune on my truck on and off for about 2-3 weeks trying to get it to idle stable enough to datalog. After a bunch of reading I figured out I had a wiring issue with the nuetral safety switch and prettymuch all of the changes i made were in vain. So I'm starting over again after I get the NSS worked out.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Dammit now I just added ANOTHER thing to my want list.

Not that I am planning a radical engine build, but like magnum I really enjoy fiddle-fartin around with stuff. Computers and my modded original XboX's fill that need right now, but that tweecer sounds really cool.

So could you really see benefits from say just a good exhaust, freer flowing intake, a mild cam and one of these tuners?

Also the idea of a laptop for my truck sounds awesome!!!

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
So how much do you have $ wise in it so far?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Magnum pretty much summed it up, the more complex and radical the mods the steeper the curve. Right now I'm just dealing with a larger displacement engine, different cam, exhaust/headers and emissions deletion. Not that the current EEC didn't work, it just wasn't running the way I wanted it to. Down the road I may want to do more and this set up gives me the option to easily do it..the best part is I don't have to take it in and out to make adjustments and the RT allows the datalogging function.

Dammit now I just added ANOTHER thing to my want list.

Not that I am planning a radical engine build, but like magnum I really enjoy fiddle-fartin around with stuff. Computers and my modded original XboX's fill that need right now, but that tweecer sounds really cool.

So could you really see benefits from say just a good exhaust, freer flowing intake, a mild cam and one of these tuners?

:thumbup:thumbup fiddle-fartin..I like your choice of words. That's also part of the reason I got this. The tuner will definitely help so you can make the most of your modifications.

The setup I have cost $450..

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once I'm up and running you're more than welcome to come over and check it out. Tonight I want to get it running and hook up my lap top to do a base read of the EEC.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts

Just about ANY EEC4 or EEC5 could benifit from some tuning, even in stock form.

With intake/exhuast and a cam there isn't a lot to do, just tweak. Things like spark tables(adding a little spark across a table till it pings, then back it off some), tweaking a MAF curve, turning off emissions stuff. You could lean out the air fuel ratio at certain times to gain mileage or power, depending on what you want (the eec is setup for cleanest emissions, not power). And yes, having a laptop to view and datalog EVERY sensor is nice. My truck won't have an insturment cluster. I'm going to install an LED display that will contain all the needed insturmentation except for fuel level and oil pressure.

Also, a lot of the tuning ability depends on what EEC you use, or more specifically what stratagey it uses. The catch code on the box, like A9P or A9L is the calibration. The stratagey these two calibrations were written for is gufx, which has been completly reverse engineered and is well documented. But my ranger's 3.0 v6 eec isn't. theres no "broken down" readable version of it floating around yet.

Im sorta getting off topic thou...

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
The moates quaterhorse is $250 plus about another $100 in software. It supports some more EEC's than the tweecer, but they both do prettymuch the same thing. More of a preference I guess.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm up and running. Was able to read the stock calibration from the EEC last night and make a couple of minor adjustments. Engine displacement, turned off the EGR and thermactor. Yay no more codes.. Next step is to focus on the areas below. From what I've read the challenge is the WAY1 EEC doesn't have a lot of support so there is going to be some trial and error. All part of the fun.

Injector Settings
Injector Slope High (Injector Size)
Injector Slope Low (Injector Size + ~ 15%)
Injector Minimum Pulse Width
Injector Breakpoint
Injector Offset vs Battery Voltage
MAF Transfer
Stabilized Open Loop Fuel Table
Global Spark Adder +/-

·
Registered
181 Posts
Subcribing to learn more

1 - 20 of 55 Posts