Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here have experience with the "tweecer"? Its a company that makes a ford specific engine managment set up. Im thinking about getting one for my 92 but cant seem to find much info on them except for from the companies site. I have a 351 that Im building to replace the worn 351 thats in it. Gt heads, intake and plenum, headers and 3" exhaust with a cam and Im pretty sure im outside the realm of what the stock computer can handle. any advice?

thanks,
R. Justin Apsley

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,857 Posts
have you searched much? there are plenty of guys running built 5.8's with out issues on the stock computer. search for 357 build

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Does anyone on here have experience with the "tweecer"? Its a company that makes a ford specific engine managment set up. Im thinking about getting one for my 92 but cant seem to find much info on them except for from the companies site. I have a 351 that Im building to replace the worn 351 thats in it. Gt heads, intake and plenum, headers and 3" exhaust with a cam and Im pretty sure im outside the realm of what the stock computer can handle. any advice?

thanks,
R. Justin Apsley
They don't have the code for your stock computer, so you'd have to go with one out of a Lightning if you wanted to keep it running the E4OD.

Just as long as your cam LSA is >114*, it doesn't look like you have anything that would cause a problem with the stock computer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info. Im in the research stage at the moment while I get money for the build and find time to work in the garage. I want to run programable engine managment without spending thousands on it. I am in ford technical training and like what I can do with obdII for diagnosis but also want to add power. looking to see what can meet these requirements.

thanks again,
R. Justin Apsley

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
They don't have the code for your stock computer, so you'd have to go with one out of a Lightning if you wanted to keep it running the E4OD.
find a lightning computer 1st and try that before you drop lot of money on the tweecer set up.
Come on guys time to update your facts :doh0715:
Any computer from the same family can have the Lightning file loaded into it
The Lighting ECM family ID is EFI-SD48B on the sticker.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The Tweecer website does not list the 86-94 truck ECMs. Are you telling me that it will work with any ford EEC and they just don't have tunes for the truck stuff?

I am just curious, as it may make my efi 460 build a bit easier for the bronco.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Come on guys time to update your facts :doh0715:
Any computer from the same family can have the Lightning file loaded into it
The Lighting ECM family ID is EFI-SD48B on the sticker.
My bad. :brownbag

I thought it was that they didn't have a breakdown of the code for specific computers, and didn't want to take the time to do it because of lack of popularity, so they just did the popular ones like the Lightning EECs and the Mustang EECs?

I understand that the TwEECer chip can have anything loaded on it, I thought that it didn't matter though because they didn't have the software mapped for our EECs due to lack of interest...

Either way, thanks for the update FG. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
These are computers just like the box you use to surf the internet.
Computers have hardware (the physical box) and software (the data inside the box)
The 1993-95 Lightning ECM above showes hardware EFI-SD48B with software C3P2
Ford used the EFI-SD48B hardware on many trucks (4.9L 5.0L 5.8L 7.5L)
If you have the correct tools (tweecer) you can load a new software file onto it.

This works for most of Fords ECMs, the common A9L family is SFI-MA12A

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
FG, I thought the TwEECer only modified the values around the programming of the computer. Hence why the TwEECer module has to stay plugged into the J3 port on the EEC.

I thought all 96 and earlier EECs (may be 95, I thought I remember reading our 96 EECs had no datastream available to read, so they weren't technically fully OBDII compliant) but had no flashable memory on board, and the original ROMs could not be re-written like newer EECs which contain EEPROMs in the 97 and up trucks.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
FG, I thought the TwEECer only modified the values around the programming of the computer. Hence why the TwEECer module has to stay plugged into the J3 port on the EEC.
I thought all 96 and earlier EECs (may be 95, I thought I remember reading our 96 EECs had no datastream available to read, so they weren't technically fully OBDII compliant) but had no flashable memory on board, and the original ROMs could not be re-written like newer EECs which contain EEPROMs in the 97 and up trucks.
Not flashing, but giving a new location for the files plugged into the J3 port. The computer looks to the J3 port for data before it's internal data. You can replace only a few values, or replace the entire file from the J3 port. Once the device is removed from the J3 port, the computer looks at the original stock data inside.
wouldnt it be cheaper and easyer just to find a 50-100$ lighting puter than to have the one he's got reprogramed?
No because you still need a tuner for larger displacement, boost, and certian cam changes. If a stock lighting computer would work, then the original truck computer would have been okay as well.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Not flashing, but giving a new location for the files plugged into the J3 port. The computer looks to the J3 port for data before it's internal data. You can replace only a few values, or replace the entire file from the J3 port. Once the device is removed from the J3 port, the computer looks at the original stock data inside.
Ohhhhhhhh gotcha. I didn't think the entire EEC program was replaced by the one on the TwEECer...

Thanks FG. :thumbup

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
Registered
1991 351W E4OD
866 Posts
I had emailed someone from TwEECer about a year ago and asked if the TwEECer would work with the Bronco EEC or if I needed a Lightning one. This is what they said:

Mike Glover from TwEECer said:
In many instances, the 89-95 SD truck processors did not change too much, as far as hardware revision is to be concerned. This allows MOST (but not all) Bronco/x150 vehicles to use the GenI Lightning calibrations (93-95). We have done this dozens of times and it works about 9 out of 10 times. There is a bit of a crossover in 88-90, but you should be safe with a 91 processor.

Since I cannot gaurantee success, you can purchase direct from me and if it does not work AND if the hardware is not damaged, I will give 100% refund save for shipping costs. Optionally, if it does not work, you can get a Lightning processor or a 93-95 SD truck processor and would be able to continue forward with your tuning.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
No because you still need a tuner for larger displacement, boost, and certian cam changes. If a stock lighting computer would work, then the original truck computer would have been okay as well.

not from my experiance. mine ran like crap with the stock computer. stalled all the time, wouldnt shift over about 3500rpms, idle would change, no power the list goes on.
i got a used c3p1 and it was almost perfect. shifted at a much higher rpm and firmer. idle was perfect, motor was strong at all rpms, etc.
it went from not being able to get outta its own way to being able to light up 36" tires on dry pavement.
just my experiances.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
not from my experiance. mine ran like crap with the stock computer. stalled all the time, wouldnt shift over about 3500rpms, idle would change, no power the list goes on.
i got a used c3p1 and it was almost perfect. shifted at a much higher rpm and firmer. idle was perfect, motor was strong at all rpms, etc.
it went from not being able to get outta its own way to being able to light up 36" tires on dry pavement.
just my experiances.
im dumb but whats a c3p1

1 - 20 of 23 Posts