Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a np 205 in my 79, sometimes its kinda hard to get it from 4 lo back to 4 hi if the truck is in a bind, i was looking at a twin stick kit for it but i was wonder if this would really help make the gear selections easier, what are the pros of having the twin stick shifters or is it not worth the money

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
NP205's are all gear driven with no syncro's so they are a PIA to shift. You pretty much have to be on flat ground, with no load on the gears in order to shift them. You can shift them while rolling, but you have to be moving at a snail's pace in order to do so. I filled my 205 with 50% Lucas Oil and it seems to help, keeps the heat down as well. I don't think "twin sticking" your 205 will help with this situation, it's something you love to hate but it is bullet proof.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is the twin stick thing something people do just to have two cool looking shifters and bragg about how they got a twin stick t case

·
Registered
173 Posts
no, it gives you the ablity to put the rear in neutral and do a front dig:beer to get around an obstical or out of bind where the rear axle is trying to push you through.

it's not just a cool factor. the next thing is having a doubler and having 3 sticks for the transfer case and then one more for the tranny (if you have a manual that is):thumbup

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
if you have a manual, put pressure on the shift lever and slightly pop the clutch out then quickly push it back in. it will slide right out of gear then.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I should say, your not wanting to enguage it completely. just enough to load and unload the gears.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wish i had a 4 speed but i got the c6, on flat ground its not to bad but in tight trails or hills it can be a real bi### somtimes, but that seems like a cool feature to be able to unlock the rear axel

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Best way to shift the 205 on a hill is to stop, set the parking brake, then shift tranny into park, then shift the transfer case. It helps if you have your parking brake adjusted so that you have no roll back when it's applied, this prevents the drive shaft from loading up the transfer case. Nothing like the joys of owning a NP205 and trying to shift it on a hill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts