Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to an earlier post by steve83 (I used search!), I was able to figure out how to get slack in the speedometer cable to remove the dash. I had to get under the bronco and remove a couple of clips that hold the cable to the frame then I went by the steering column and tugged on the cable to get a couple of inches of slack up to the back of the panel. Then I squeezed the speedometer cable end attachment and the cable came off the back of the panel. Then I removed the two electrical connectors and the gear indicator cable.

After I had the instrument panel off, I found a strange plug on the floorboard. I do not know where it goes. Does it go to the back of the instrument panel? There is a missing bulb insert. The missing one is from the middle left side of the picture. I took the one out of the bottom left (it is the RABS indicator).There does not appear to be anything that it should light up. I have a manual transfer case and hubs. Maybe it is a light for the optional electric transfer case. The plug does not appear to fit this. I did not take a picture of this plug. It is black and about the same size as a quarter. The middle has an end that looks like it would insert into the missing bulb spot but it does not lock into place.

Also the indicator cable plastic outer covering is split where it meets the end that has the bolt that attaches to the column. The cable is OK it is just the outer plastic covering. It slides up and down the wire. It has always been slow to indicate the gear selected especially when it is cold outside. Should this piece be replaced? You can barely see the exposed cable I am talking about in the bottom of the picture.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is 2 pictures of the part that I found. I am still trying to figure out where it goes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh man. I'm an idiot...

No wait. It was a test and you passed.

I feel stupid. :cry

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a hint.

When you replace that bulb that burned out, before you put it all back together, check to see if any other bulbs are burned out.

Don't ask me how I discovered this trick.

·
Registered
634 Posts
jem270 said:
Here's a hint.

When you replace that bulb that burned out, before you put it all back together, check to see if any other bulbs are burned out.

Don't ask me how I discovered this trick.

It's best to replace them all while you have it out, and use the Long Life variety of bulbs :thumbup .

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked into my 1988 Ford service manual and a diagram shows “emiss” where my empty bulb slot is. Mine does not have this engraved into the cluster. Here is a picture that shows the “emiss”. Should mine have this?

·
Registered
634 Posts
jem270 said:
I looked into my 1988 Ford service manual and a diagram shows “emiss” where my empty bulb slot is. Mine does not have this engraved into the cluster. Here is a picture that shows the “emiss”. Should mine have this?

Nor should you have a bulb in the "engine" hole. If you put one in there, it'll light up on startup, then go out. But as far as I've been able to figure out, it's not actually applicable to our trucks (mine's an 88, too.)

Will

·
Registered
634 Posts
Steve83 said:
Yes, you should have an ENGINE bulb installed on all clusters so equipped.

I think I wasn't clear about what I was trying to say. I have an '88 also. When I was redoing the bulbs in my instrument cluster, I put them all in. I did this because the previous owner had removed the CHECK ENGINE light, and I didn't know what else had been removed that shouldn't have been. One of the bulbs I put in, that wasn't there when I bought the truck, was the ENGINE light (it is a little red pictogram of an engine.) However, I can find no mention of this light in my owners manual, my EVTM, or the Haynes (for my specific year). So, my point is, if you put a bulb in it (for an '88, at least) it will light up at startup, but won't tell you anything of value. According to my '88 owner's manual, you should have a Check Engine warning light (CHECK ENGINE), a Battery Voltage gauge, a Tachometer (optional), a Fuel guage, an Engine Coolant Temperature gauge, an Engine Oil Pressure guage, a Safety Belt Warning light (looks like a dude with a seat belt on) and buzzer or chime, a Rear Antilock Brake warning light (REAR ANTILOCK), a Brake System and Parking Brake warning light (BRAKE), and a headlamps on warning chime (optional).

So I guess our clusters are "equipped" with provisions for this light, but aren't "equipped" to use it for anything.

Oh crap, am I wrong again?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:whiteflag

I have the instrument cluster screwed into place but I haven't put all the dash pieces back in.

Should I take the "engine" bulb out before I put it all back together (again)?

I'm getting pretty good at taking this stuff out. :histerica

I tested it last night and when I turned the igniton to "run" the only bulbs that lit up were:

check engine
engine
amp indicator
antilock indicator

I think this is normal. I have always had the engine light bulb installed.

I did not start it up because of all the pieces of the dash were not installed yet.

·
Registered
634 Posts
jem270 said:
:whiteflag

I have the instrument cluster screwed into place but I haven't put all the dash pieces back in.

Should I take the "engine" bulb out before I put it all back together (again)?

I'm getting pretty good at taking this stuff out. :histerica

I tested it last night and when I turned the igniton to "run" the only bulbs that lit up were:

check engine
engine
amp indicator
antilock indicator

I think this is normal. I have always had the engine light bulb installed.

I did not start it up because of all the pieces of the dash were not installed yet.
Nah, you can leave it be. I just don't think it will ever indicate anything useful to you, but it definitely won't hurt anything. If it ever does light up in the future, and you whip out your owner's manual, it won't mention the light, or what it could be indicating to you (see Steve83's post above about it being for emissions service). Oh, and my '88 owner's manual doesn't mention the AMP light, either. How freakin' weird is that?

Will

1 - 12 of 12 Posts