Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my goals of persuing a Mechanical Engineering degree have been bashed to bits. (Maybe not permanantly, but for the moment, ME is out of the question.)

They're really pushing me to try just a 2 year degree. Something that will gaurantee me a GOOD job with full insurance benefits.

Any ideas?

·
Only the Bronco
978 Posts
Why won't they let you get a ME degree?

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i_alone said:
Why won't they let you get a ME degree?

Well, number one, from the neuro-psych eval, the doctor said my weakness right now is Math and if I want to succeed, I should steer clear of math until I get my mind back working like it should. They even suggested I drop out of my math class right now and take something easier, but I haven't gotten where I am by taking the easier road. So I'm stying in my basic math for now.

And number two, they want me in a job as quickly as possible.

I haven't been scared of alot in my life, but the one thing that scares me to death is that I'll be stuck in something JUST because I have to support my kidney transplant. That my life will revolve around my kidney failure.

Oh and I found this just now. This is where I'm taking my math class. An Auto-Tech degree. :toothless http://www.chattcollege.com/programs/degree/auto_tech.aspx

·
Registered
245 Posts
Have you talked to the counseler at school about the possibilities of a paid internship? When I was taking my drafting courses the instructor told us you could get a job as a detailer after only a few classes.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
A 2 year degree would be OK. Thats what I have, in Vehicle Design, I am not doing it at the moment thouugh. I more or less process, data entry, enter in BOM's from gun dwgs etc, its good pay i guess, no raise in 2 yrs though. You start filing dwgs , its a start, thats how I started. You move your way up. Get the math done now. You can take a math class twice if you fail. Get the book, study it than take the class.

Goodluck, if you need help let me know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You might get ahold of Ga Tech (that's were you wanted to get your ME, right?) and talk to someone about what is a good two year degree that would help you transition into the ME program there. You might try admissions or even someone in the ME program.

I could ask some if my ME profs if you wanted me to.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
I am all about the internship. I was slack my first year of college and aside from busting my hump sophmore year, having two internships let me finish college in 4 years. Otherwise I would have to take less classes for more time to work for the $! As for a suggestion of a 2 year degree. I like anything that is business associated. It's a good degree and can be applied in many applications. Hell half the purpose of getting a degree is showing the employer you have the determination to finish something (this is in no way a reference to your problems with the social worker thing). Some people are lucky enough to get their foot in the door without a degree, but it helps alot, even two year. My point being just find something that will work in multiple fields, or that is related to a field you are interested in, and go get, math classes be damned!

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Do what I did- grab the course catalogs from a few local community/technical colleges and read through all the program descriptions. Narrow it down to 2-3 programs and get more specific info on them. My choices were chef, drafting, auto tech, and what I chose- Automated Manufacturing Tech. I'm very happy with what I chose and did. Talking with a few people who's been in both 2yr and 4yr schools, they learned a lot more relevant skills at a 2yr school than they did at a 4yr school. Hope this helps a bit :)

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Babe, just my two cents worth, but start off easy and take some Business Administration classes to ease yourself back into the whole school thing. The math is not too difficult, and you have plently of people here on FSB to help out if you run into any problems. A lot of people I went to college with stopped after getting a 2 year Business Administration degree and were able to get decent jobs. The good thing about it, is that it has applications across a wide range of professions. Good luck though with whatever you decide to do.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wheelman zak said:
You might get ahold of Ga Tech
I have a friend that is getting his ME and he talked me out of going to GA Tech. I've decided to go to the university here in Marietta, Southern Poly. Their program is more hands on based where GT is all theory based.

I like the idea of auto-tech, but I think if I go with Culinary Arts, I'll have ALOT more places to choose from to work. Like I could go back to catering, or a big ass hotel, or a nice restaurant. I have school today at 3:15, and I'm planning on going down to Student Services and seeing what I need to do to change my plan.

I did my homework at dialysis this morning. Woo.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I agree with Jer and Smooth, the business degree is the broadest that can be applied to many jobs, but the thing everyone else missed in your previous post was "you don't wanna get stuck in a job your unhappy with". Thats the key...pick something that makes you happy. You may have to work a lil harder to get where your going but you'll be much more happy and motivation will be high as long as your happy! And with the right "drive" you can acomplish anything!!...Good luck BB!:thumbup

·
Registered
484 Posts
Good luck Babe - I agree with the Business degree.

But... I have no degree, and have fan-freaking-tabulous benefits through my job, at BofA - even our part-timers & tellers get 'um. So it's not always what degree you have, or even necessarily the position within the company, it's just which company.

Heck, my benefits are great, and Smooth's suck - and he's the one with the degree (his pay is higher than mine, however).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts