Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas;

Been thinking about going to U-Bolt Eliminators on the bronco. Just wondering if anyone else is running them on our trucks. I know allot of jeep guys run them.

Thought that getting up to a 1-1 1/2 lift in the back is a benefit along with a little more flex and wheel travel.

Paul

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am not sure I see the point. Are people have problems with U-bolts?

If you are building a custom 1-of suspension I guess they would be an option, but I do not think they are an improvement for a Ford Bronco.

A lot of Jeep guy move the springs over the axles (instead of under like factory) so they have a use for something like that. Bronco's are spring over from the facotry.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
supposedly gives you a little bit of lift in the rear and allows a little more flex. Like I said I know the Jeep guys here love them specially if they run the 9 rear axle. Also you can dial in pinion angle better (supposedly) and not have to worry about U bolts loosening up and axle moving. But like I said not sure if its feasable in our trucks. But still a descent design.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I could see how someone could make a pivoting mount on something like that, but other than that, the only advantage I see is that you could maybe save a little money by using regular bolts, rather than have someone bend up some for you.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Only advantage I can see is IF you make the whole thing longer front to back (including spring perch), you could possibly eliminate a bit more wrap, but nothing compare to what a decent traction bar would do. The only other thing I see is if you do break one bolt, the other still has some clamping force, where u-bolt the entire thing is then useless.

Disadvantage is more weight since spring pads need to be twice as wide. Also a PIA unless the nuts below are welded or captive. If they are welded, and you break one, your screwed for trail repair.

The other thing I don't like is with a u-bolt, at least it's only the top end that has all it's stess @ the nuts, the bottom end distributes this around the entire axle tube. You can make the top plate real beefy to account for this with U-bolts, but with that design, both the top and bottom need to be super beefy where the bolts/nuts contact.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Unless you are doing a spring over conversion I do not see the point..... even then I'm not sure I see a real need.

The only time I have see a U-bolt fail was on a rig a guy had reused U-bolts several times.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would do it to a jeep but not a full size. I just have the bad habit of looking at jeeps like there little toys. I do think it's cool and all but Ubolts just make me feel a little more secure.

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
well, i think you have your answer, DO IT. try something new and post a build thread and let us know how it works. we'll never know if something is better until someone gives it a try.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That is a spring over conversion for trucks with springs originally mounted under the axle or soeone hacked on a Toyota flip kit. Toys come with the threaded ends down but are already spring over. the kit flips the u bolts so the threads don't get damaged.

Does not apply the your truck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.